Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can teens drive out of state with learner's permit?

sacchisacchi Posts: 2,086Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2013 in Parent Cafe
We're planning a spring break college visitation road trip, and I wonder if my son will be allowed to drive out of state with his learner's permit. I'm hoping to share the driving load. We live in NJ and he is 16. We will pass through NY, CT, MA, DE, MD, and DC.
Post edited by sacchi on

Replies to: Can teens drive out of state with learner's permit?

• PackMomPackMom Posts: 7,490Registered User Senior Member
    It may vary depending on the state but in our state a kid with a Learner's Permit can drive anywhere as long as one of his (licensed driver) parents are in the front seat with them.
  • maritemarite Posts: 21,586Registered User Senior Member
    MA laws:

The holder of a Learner's Permit may operate a motor vehicle upon any way when accompanied by an operator duly licensed by his state of residence, who is 21 years of age or over, who has had at least one year of driving experience and who is occupying a seat beside the driver.

A Permit holder who is under the age of 18 may not operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and 5:00 a.m. unless accompanied by his parent or legal guardian, who must be a licensed operator with at least one year of driving experience and whose license or right to operate is not revoked or suspended.

The holder of a Learner's Permit may not operate in another state if it is in violation of that state's law.

The holder of a motorcycle Learner's Permit (Class M) may not carry passengers and may not operate after sunset or before sunrise.

The holder of a Learner's Permit must be in physical possession of the Permit when operating a motor vehicle.
    RMV - Junior Operator License Restrictions
  • kayfkayf Posts: 4,161Registered User Senior Member
    He can not drive in NYC (which includes the bronx), I beleive he can drive in Westchester.
  • tranquil218tranquil218 Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    I would not recommend that he drive in NY. As kayf said, he can't drive at all in NYC (all five boroughs). Moreover, although he can drive in Westchester, there are numerous restrictions - there has to be a licensed person over the age of 18, he can only drive during certain hours. It also changes from county to county, so he'd have to pop in and out of the driver's seat frequently.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,519Registered User Senior Member
    >>The holder of a Learner's Permit may not operate in another state if it is in violation of that state's law.>>

Sounds like you need to check the laws in all the states you plan to drive through. I think you are OK in CT...as kids can get permits at 16..but there has to be a licensed driver who has had their license at least four years in the front passenger seat. And drivers at that age cannot drive late at night.
  • kayfkayf Posts: 4,161Registered User Senior Member
    rules for junior drivers in ny

NYS DMV - (Brochure) Learner Permits and Junior Licenses

I think most of the highways in Westchester are out -- possibly federal highways -- 287, 95 are ok
  • mominvamominva Posts: 2,335Registered User Senior Member
    When I looked into this same subject years ago, some states specifically disallowed permit holders who were younger than that state's minimum age for obtaining permits.
  • coolweathercoolweather Posts: 3,453Registered User Senior Member
    Out of state traffic symbols, rules, road patterns,... are different from the ones in home state and can be confusing. I would not do it.
  • msmayormsmayor Posts: 317Registered User Member
    Short answer: No, no driving outside the state borders.

We live in NJ and my daughter was instructed NOT to drive outside the state of NJ on her Learner's Permit as she could be subject to fines, as well as the licensed driver in the passenger seat.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 18,854Super Moderator Senior Member
    Oops, I'm glad we weren't caught in the 4 other states we drove through on S's college trip in February! Yikes.
  • sacchisacchi Posts: 2,086Registered User Senior Member
    We won't be going into NYC or Westchester. And I (parent above age 21!) will be with him at all times. S has been driving with a permit for almost a year and it has been many, many months since I feared for my life when riding with him.

coolweather, I'm not sure I agree with your point about different signs & conditions. Isn't it best to expose the kid to different conditions under a parent's supervision, rather than some day later when they are alone? We just went to a driver's safety program at S's school, and they recommended to make sure that you have kid drive with you at night, in the rain, in the snow, etc. instead of them being exposed to those conditions for the first time alone.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 7,006Registered User Senior Member
    From what I understand you have to follow the rules of the state you are going through. So, you would have to find out the rules for each state.
  • Grcxx3Grcxx3 Posts: 2,058Registered User Senior Member
    So glad I saw this post! DS is will be 17-1/2 with his permit this summer when we hit PA to visit family and schools. He will get his license right after we return. I was wondering if he could drive......but I think I will leave the driving to DH!

(We are VERY late in the "driving game" because we've been overseas for years.....and because I procrastinated like hell this past fall! MAJOR denial!!!)
  • somemomsomemom Posts: 9,357Registered User Senior Member
    Check with your state and the other states DMVs. My DDs drove all up and down the west coast including Canada with no problem (we checked first)
  • laxmomlaxmom Posts: 1,449Registered User Senior Member
    Not sure this matters but you also may want to check your car insurance policy. I don't know if there are restrictions there for young drivers.
This discussion has been closed.