Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Publishers Clearing House - chance me!

speckledeggspeckledegg Posts: 366Registered User Member
edited April 2009 in Parent Cafe
I usually just throw it out but the possiblity of winning $5,000 a week for life sounds rather appealing at the moment. The main letter from the executive director of the "prize patrol" has so much mock highlighting/underlining/scribbling that I think I have grasped what a mistake it might be to fail to enter and have the prize patrol go to the home of an alternate winner... apparently this happens "often." Is there a downside to entering, such as joining the mothership of junk mailing lists?
Post edited by speckledegg on

Replies to: Publishers Clearing House - chance me!

• harvardmumharvardmum Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    OK, I loved the title to this...thanks for the laugh!
  • scansmomscansmom Posts: 1,523Registered User Senior Member
    I was going to say, "when hell freezes over" - but Wikipedia probably knows best!
    In 2009, the odds for the top prize in Publisher's Clearing House Giveaway #1400 (a prize of $1-million) were 1 in 1.75-billion, the highest the odds have ever been for a PCH giveaway.

Publishers Clearing House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,268Registered User Senior Member
    Good one!

You can't win if you don't enter. Send it in!!
  • aibarraibarr Posts: 4,248Registered User Senior Member
    OK, I loved the title to this...thanks for the laugh!

Me too. =)

This past year, my brother and a friend and I were the Prize Patrol for Halloween.
  • mousegraymousegray Posts: 1,642Registered User Senior Member
    Gave me a laugh too.
    I entered it once. I also was so amazed by all the urging -- so many exclamation marks!!! -- that I thought, what the hell. The prize patrol did not materialize for me though.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    If the odds of winning are 1 in 1.8 billion, then a lot of people must enter multiple, multiple times. We don't have near 1.8 billion people in the US. Heck, even the July 2008 estimate of the population of China was 1.3 billion.
  • astrophysicsmomastrophysicsmom Posts: 4,326Registered User Senior Member
    And, here I thought that underlining and highlighting was especially for me. I was convinced THIS IS IT, and yes, I searched through all that crap to find the right sticker to put there, the right stamp to put there.....are you guys telling me not to plan how I'm going to spend my $$?!!!