Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

50th Birthday gift ideas for best friend of 38 years?

worrywartworrywart Posts: 1,783Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2009 in Parent Cafe
Special but under $100. Thanks.
Post edited by worrywart on

Replies to: 50th Birthday gift ideas for best friend of 38 years?

• missypiemissypie Posts: 16,931Registered User Senior Member
    Do you have great pictures of the two of you? I'm seeing more and more bound books of pictures (done by places like Shutterfly).
  • worrywartworrywart Posts: 1,783Registered User Senior Member
    I love that idea. Can they work with prints (not digital)?
  • wolfpackmomwolfpackmom Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    I assume your friend is a woman, so jewelry is always good. Also, one of my favorite gifts for my 50th were beautiful martini glasses, which I use all the time.
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Posts: 2,024Registered User Senior Member
    You could scan the prints and send them to Shutterfly (or another vendor). I LOVE photo books!

Alternately, maybe you could get a piece of jewelry with your birthstone and hers? It would be subtle, but would remind her of your friendship!

A small photobook would only be around $30, so for your budget you might be able to do both!
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    You can include a poem or list of either 38 or 50 reasons that you value your bf's friendship.
    Oh my gosh, you ladies put me to shame with your creativity. I better start dragging out my photo albums tonight.
    Found a couple of letters from her that I've been holding onto since high school and college. They still resonate with me so I'll plan to include copies of them in this album. Thanks again. I feel excited about this. I just have to find a scanner to copy and upload the photos.
    Is your friend in the same town or out of town?
    Very far away.
  • michonemichone Posts: 417Registered User Member
    I love the photo book idea. My best friend from high school and I are still really close. Her 50th birthday is coming up and is getting over a really ugly divorce. I want to do something special for her. Since we are both turning 50 this year I was also thinking of asking her if she wanted to go away for a few days for a girls trip.
    That's what my bf and I had planned but her DH is now out of work and she is supporting the household on 30% of what he was earning :( That's why I'd really like to do something special without overextending my own budget.
    Then this idea won't help worrywart, but it may be an idea for others reading this thread: My parents live far away, but happened to be visiting on my mother's birthday. Having no time to bake, I ordered a very yummy, beautifully decorated cake. My mother cried because she had never had a beautiful birthday cake before.

It's more likely that my mom's depression era generation would have never had a beautiful cake, but it may be the case for other moms as well - always doing for others, never having anything fabulous for themselves. Might also be a good idea for single empty nest friends...send over a great little cake or petit fours or something...
    That's what my bf and I had planned but her DH is now out of work and she is supporting the household on 30% of what he was earning

Well then maybe the cake idea could work...research a good local bakery, pay by credit card, tell the husband about it and ask him to pick it up...
  • maineparentmaineparent Posts: 898Registered User Member
    Do you do any crafts? I have recently taken up beading....I enjoy it.....if there is a local store, you could take a class .... knot her a pearl necklace....or make her earrings with special colors you know she would like.....or a charm dangle bracelet.....all easily done for under $100......and if you sew, you could sew her a jewelry pouch to go with it?

I received several nice pieces of jewelry for mine....a cameo, a couple of bracelets... there is a wonderful shop here in Maine that sells thin silver bracelets that are stamped with expressions/phrases..... received one recently from girlfriends as retirement gift.. it says "my religion is simple, my religion is kindness" Dali Lama .... and there is another one I really covet, "when you pray, move your feet" an African proverb......and another one that says "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing" by Thomas Jefferson.....
    they run under $100 .....if you google Nomi Jewelry Bangle Bracelets you will find them
    Thanks, mp. Nice suggestions. Do you take jewelry orders for your work? I've often thought we should have some type of craigslist on CC to share our talents and job skills with one another.