Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Gift for Teenage Boy in Hospital?

Karen CollegesKaren Colleges Posts: 1,751Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2009 in Parent Cafe
If it was a girl, we'd send flowers or balloons to cheer up the room.
What do you send a teenage boy? Are there any online sites for balloon/floral deliveries that would be more goofy than elegant? I'm thinking goofy is the way to go.
Post edited by Karen Colleges on

Replies to: Gift for Teenage Boy in Hospital?

• Mary13Mary13 Posts: 2,420Registered User Senior Member
    Goofy is good—but I recommend something small. When my son was in the hospital, there was almost no space in his room to keep balloons and plants. (To brighten up the room, we hung a string of colored lights around the window, and made a collage of cards on the wall.) He liked receiving magazines (his favorite in those days was Game Informer); he was too sick to read “real” books. If the patient is not on a special diet, and the hospital allows it (ours did), a few tasty treats in a basket would be nice. Those three meagre hospital meals aren’t very satisfactory for a teenage boy.
  • UCLA Band MomUCLA Band Mom Posts: 1,180Registered User Senior Member
    Bring him a Mad magazine and some comic books.
  • allie'smomallie'smom Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
    How about an Itunes gift card (if he has access to a laptop) so he can buy some new music?
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 10,682Registered User Senior Member
    Does anybody use GameBoy anymore?
  • speckledeggspeckledegg Posts: 366Registered User Member
    Food, lounging pants, a medium-sized Lego set or jigsaw puzzle that fits on a hospital tray, a little LED readout thing to fiddle with or other small electronic, a small craft project that involves assembly but not mess (painting), entertaining books (Daily Show, The Office, etc.), DVD's
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    May be your presence will brighten the room.
  • Delicate ArchDelicate Arch Posts: 170Registered User Junior Member
    A really soft cotton t-shirt and DVD's to watch with visitors so you don't have to talk all the time.
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,269Registered User Senior Member
    Favorite snacks, candy, fast food--if allowed.
  • clevelandcleveland Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    Since you mention online, can I assume he's not in your town? If that's the case, ThinkGeek.com :: Temporarily Down for Maintenance comes to mind.

edited to add: hopefully, they'll be back up and running soon
  • Karen CollegesKaren Colleges Posts: 1,751Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Lots of good ideas.

Can't visit yet, as we are too far away.

Surveyed some of the teens hanging out at our house, and they suggested games for a DS Nintendo. None of them owned one, so couldn't suggest which game. Any suggestions there for a game to combat boredom?
  • clevelandcleveland Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    Do they know that he owns a Nintendo DS?
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,665Registered User Senior Member
    A season long tv show series on DVD. A light series that he didn't watch when it was new.
  • SmallCollegesFTWSmallCollegesFTW Posts: 1,076Registered User Member
    I would definitely recommend a season of a TV show, even better if he has never seen it before. Good ones are Arrested Development (funniest show I have watched in my life), The Office, Scrubs, Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Though depending on his age Phili may be inappropriate), etc
  • geek_momgeek_mom Posts: 2,106Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Good idea. Also Monk, Dead Zone, Seinfeld, Third Rock from the Sun... those have all gone over well with my son in his teen years. With the loan of a small portable DVD player if possible, so that he can use it in the bed and therefore change the discs himself.
  • oreo45oreo45 Posts: 404Registered User Member
    A soft teddy bear to hug.