Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Alcohol Possession Laws

blu_g8oradeblu_g8orade Posts: 748Registered User Member
edited May 2009 in Parent Cafe
i'm posting this in the Parents forum because i figure i'll get more reliable answers...

my friends and I are going down to Ocean City, MD in a couple weeks for our Senior Week. we are probably going to be partying, but it will most likely be in our condo and not out in the open.

are the cops allowed to come into our condo without prior warning?

and if so, will they give alcohol citations to everybody in the room if there is alcohol present, including people who do not appear to be intoxicated?

and if we do get a citation, i assume they have to notify our parents?

i'm 17, btw..
Post edited by blu_g8orade on

Replies to: Alcohol Possession Laws

• ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Posts: 8,573Registered User Senior Member
    There have been a couple of other posts here by parents of kids who were given alcohol citations who 'say' they weren't drinking (at least at that time) and were just on their way out, way in, etc. but got busted because others had alcohol and they were present and underage. Cops don't just go randomly busting into condos on the off chance some underage kid is drinking though but if it's a loud party or a neighbor complains or something they might show up.

Why not just not drink? A lot worse things can happen than getting a citation.
  • blu_g8oradeblu_g8orade Posts: 748Registered User Member
    thanks for the advice. so if we keep the volume down, we should be good?

and trust me, i fully understand the dangers of drinking. my friends and I are a pretty responsible bunch.. we do drink, but we're not the type to get completely wasted and start doing stupid stuff. the alcohol is just to make things more fun, that's all.

oops.. should have posted this in the Parent Cafe
  • hmom5hmom5 Posts: 10,882- Senior Member
    If this is your parents' condo, keep in mind that should anyone get hurt they would have a law suit against them. I've always warned my kids never to allow under aged kids to drink in our homes.
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,154Registered User Senior Member
    Are you renting a condo? Ocean City has a reputation for being tough on alcohol and the owners of the condos are the same. Read the contract carefully - it may be full of reasons for your group to get kicked out. Having extra people there can be enough. I have known groups to get kicked out within hours of arriving and losing their deposit. If you're renting, be very careful - especially with noise that will draw attention. OC has a noise ordinance that is often the reason condos and cars are searched. You might want to read this article. Do not take lightly the part about crossing the street. Every year, pedestrians are hit. Watch out for each other.

Ocean City Maryland High School Senior Week
  • msmayormsmayor Posts: 317Registered User Member
    "my friends and I are a pretty responsible bunch."

Sorry, I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. If you were truly responsible, you wouldn't even consider drinking illegally and exposing the property owner to fines/lawsuits by doing so.
  • IBfootballerIBfootballer Posts: 2,250Registered User Senior Member
    uh, yeah. "just making things more fun w/the alcohol"=irresponsible.
  • kayfkayf Posts: 4,161Registered User Senior Member
    Blu -- as responsible as you may be, all it takes it one person to turn this into a disaster -- ie -- one of your friends invites a guest who cant hold his liquor, and destroys property, drives drunk, is so loud police are called - you get where I am going

While generally police can not enter an apartment without a warrant, if there are "exergent circumstances" they can. Which means an emergency. And you dont know what standards they use out of town. That is not what you want to have to fight a court battle over. It can get expensive and go on and on.

If goD forbid you get arrested, THIS IS SOMETHING A COLLEGE CAN RESCIND ACCEPTANCE FOR.

You may be used to "light" paryting at home, where your parents are around to throw out univited guests, answer complaints from neighbors, and may even know the local police. You wont have that on break.

And as a general rule, if you do get a citation -- call your parents -- they wont be happy but they will help get you through it.

One of the saddest stories recently is the well liked son of a local rabbi jumped of a roof at SUNY Buffalo hours after getting a citation for marijuana.

I am not a prohibitionist on alchohol or marijuana, but we have to understand the consequecns.
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,154Registered User Senior Member
    I just heard on the news that a 16 year old was killed last night walking across Rt 50 in Ocean City. A group of teens was running across the highway. The driver was driving under the influence.

The problem with thinking that you can do "light partying" at senior week is that the kids start drinking as soon as they roll out of bed. Even those who think that they can handle their alcohol find themselves in a situation that they have never encountered. Getting a citation is much more common than you think and it not only happens to the big partiers but it happens to those who have never partied before that week.

To the OP - it really is okay if you are the only one who remembers what happened that week. Sometimes, everyone is just looking for the voice of reason - think about trying to be that voice. If no one listens, then they will likely not notice if you aren't drinking every time the opportunity arises.
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,526Registered User Senior Member
    How about I forward this message to your mom?
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 19,460Super Moderator Senior Member
    I just heard on the news that a 16 year old was killed last night walking across Rt 50 in Ocean City. A group of teens was running across the highway. The driver was driving under the influence.

Here in MA, an 18 year old senior is awaiting trial for drunk driving and motor vehicle homicide after he killed an elderly woman walking her dog on the sidewalk. He was coming home drunk from an after-prom party. I'm sure he thought he could "drink responsibly" too.
  • PiterbizonPiterbizon Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    ^^
    Yeah, and no one at my school has died in a car since around 1995, though the majority of the senior class drinks each year. The vast majority (where I lived, at least) of even teens drink responsibly. The small minority that doesn't ends up on the news in really hideous ways.
  • PiterbizonPiterbizon Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    Don't be loud or attract attention, and the cops won't randomly knock. If you're really paranoid, find the police scanner for the city you're in online, listen to it, and if you hear yourselves mentioned get rid of the booze or go away.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
    In Massachusetts, if you are simply in the room with a group that is under-21 and there is an open container of alcohol, you are a Minor In Posession. Doesn't matter if you didn't drink a sip - if it's there, you're guilty.

Since you guys are so young, I assume an adult is signing the lease/rental on the condo? If anyone becomes injured while you're there, that adult may be held legally liable. I was in Myrtle Beach last summer and most hotels/condos there require someone over 25 to REMAIN in the room/with the minors at all times because they've had so many problems with underaged kids who are left unsupervised for a week or weekend.

Not worth the risk. For you or the adult who is renting/leasing or owns the condo. Seriously. If you can't have fun without alcohol, you're lacking in imagination.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
    Piterbizon, you don't have to drive to die from drinking. It's happened twice in MA in the last 6 months - here's one of the stories:

Plainville mother draws from tragedy to warn teens of drinking dangers - The Boston Globe

I am very familiar with this story. Taylor Meyer didn't die of alcohol poisoning. Her official cause of death was drowning. In 2 feet of muddy water, in the swampy woods, on a 45 degree night.
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    What are you planning to do with the car keys while you're on your binge?

Details of tragic Saugus after-prom accident emerge - Peabody, MA - North Shore Sunday

Oh, and have you and your mom ever discussed whether you are an organ donor?