Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Looking for a Quiet Microwave--no beeping!

dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,709Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2009 in Parent Cafe
I have had middle-of-the-night imsomnia since I was 22. It doesn't particularly bother me, and most nights I get up, make some hot milk, read for a while and go back to bed.

It's the hot milk part that makes my husband crazy. The microwave beeps loudly enough he can hear it, and it wakes him up. (If I use a pan on the stove, half the time I burn the milk (I'm just not that together at 2 AM) and then it has to be scrubbed out.)

The current microwave finally keeled over and died and I'm looking for a SILENT microwave and I can't even find out from the product reviews if they beep. Does anyone out there have a microwave that doesn't yell "I'm done, I'm done!" at you? It would be nice if it had silent buttons too. I can't stand microwaves where every single button has its special sound.
Post edited by dmd77 on

Replies to: Looking for a Quiet Microwave--no beeping!

• toledotoledo Posts: 4,132Registered User Senior Member
    My new Electrolux microwave oven is very quiet. I just took out the manual and there is a setting for "audible signal elimination", just what you want.

I got it at Sears.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,709Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks, Toledo... did you spend the $650 for it that I found on the web? I'm more used to the $99 kind of microwave...
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,766Registered User Senior Member
    dmd, Sharp makes the best inexpensive microwaves, IMO. I would go to Best Buy or another appliance place and check the manuals to see if there is the signal elimination feature, like in this one (top of page 17):

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mic_man_R214F_216F_220F.pdf
    BunsenBurner: thank you. Good suggestion. In fact, most manuals are online so I can probably do that online for the microwave I found on Amazon....

"Audible signal elimination" is not something I would have ever looked for in a cheap microwave.... I was searching for things like "beepless" and "silent" and getting nowhere.
    Okay, here's the result. Only the Sharp microwaves (of the cheap ones) have audible signal elimination, and it's done the same way in every single one, so I infer that an earlier programmer also preferred beepless microwaves.

So I bought a Sharp microwave from Amazon, after reading the manuals of several microwaves online. Didn't even have to get in the car.

I was also amused that every single microwave user manual starts with four or five pages of warnings about how dangerous they are.
  • toledotoledo Posts: 4,132Registered User Senior Member
    That's great. Sharp is supposed to have the most reliable microwaves, according to Consumer Reports. I paid more to have my microwave match my oven. Anal...I know.
  • laxmomlaxmom Posts: 1,449Registered User Senior Member
    buy a electric hot pot - no buzzing, ringing, etc...for the hot milk
  • BatlloBatllo Posts: 3,047- Senior Member
    Warm it in a pot on the stove. Geez...
  • clevelandcleveland Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    Make the milk before you go to bed and put it in a thermos.
  • OperaDadOperaDad Posts: 2,474Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe you can pay the neighborhood geek to open up your microwave oven and cut the wires to the speaker.
  • BatlloBatllo Posts: 3,047- Senior Member
    Tryptophan in pill form
  • abasketabasket Posts: 8,945Registered User Senior Member
    Cleveland, the milk in a thermos is a great idea, but make me totally LOL!!!!!
  • clevelandcleveland Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, I just re-read that. Having a cow make the milk, with you merely warming it up seems like a better idea!!!!!
    Okay... if you go back and read the original post, I was replacing an existing microwave that no longer works, so I was looking for one where I could make it not beep. I had the beeping microwave for 8 years. I use the microwave to heat one mug of milk, in the mug.

A thermos would work IF I didn't mind wasting the milk on the nights I didn't want hot milk. A pan doesn't work because too often I burn the milk (as I said). An electric hot pot has the same problem--it needs to be cleaned. I try to avoid drugs, which is why I don't take trytophan or any sleeping pills.

While I understand that anything on CC is allowed to go into extra innings in which anything vaguely related is discussed, I am surprised that--after I said I had found a nice solution, courtesy of Toledo and BunsenBurner--the discussion continued. I appreciate everyone's concern.
  • lololulololu Posts: 1,325Registered User Senior Member
    The Samsung that I bought at Target for $50 has a "sound" button on the front panel. Poke it once and the microwave is beepless. Poke it again and the sound comes back. No beeps for any buttons.