Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Need help ASAP with airport security and no driver's license

teriwttteriwtt Posts: 9,099Super Moderator Senior Member
edited June 2009 in Parent Cafe
D2 and a friend came for a visit this weekend and her friend managed to forget her wallet in the console of her car at their originating airport. She realized it when they were on their way from economy parking to the terminal and didn't have enough time to go back and get it. The TSA allowed her through security with her college ID.

Tomorrow I am taking them back to the airport for their return flight back to school, and am getting a bit nervous that Midway will not be so lenient. Any tips from people who have not had 'proper' ID as required by the TSA, yet who managed to get through security?

Will need to leave for the airport around 9AM tomorrow.
Post edited by teriwtt on

Replies to: Need help ASAP with airport security and no driver's license

• nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,848Registered User Senior Member
    Try calling the airline tonight. For something like this, it's better to get the information straight from the source. Good luck.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,514Registered User Senior Member
    About two years ago I left my wallet on the plane. I had to go back through security (I'd gotten to the parking lot) with ZERO id to retrieve it. The search was very thorough, but they still let me through. Good luck.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,118Registered User Senior Member
    It happened to me once, I left my drivers license at home and no passport. I had to get the airline to give me a special permission to go through the security. I was flying Continental at Newark.
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate Posts: 5,807Registered User Senior Member
    Do not show up at the airport and just hope for the best. Have your friend call now and find out how to procede.
  • teriwttteriwtt Posts: 9,099Super Moderator Senior Member
    See this is where I'm confused. It's TSA that runs security, so wouldn't they be the ones to decide? And not the airlines?

Will have to go to the airport anyway, as my daughter will take that flight, whether or not her friend is on it.
  • nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,848Registered User Senior Member
    TSA: ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane."

I found this link. Maybe it will help.
    yes nysmile, that's the link I looked at earlier, but it's kind of vague. Doesn't say you can't get through without one of their 'accepted' IDs, but then it offers this option. I wish we could count on the fact that she got through the airport in another city, and that would guarantee her for Midway, but I know it doesn't work like that.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should park the car and go in with them until I'm sure she's gotten through security, instead of just dropping them off at departures.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 17,185Registered User Senior Member
    If the friend looks very young & is flying with someone else, sometimes they can convince folks that they're under 18. My D & companions have done this--one of the companions is 34 but mistaken for 14! Not very comfortable to rely on this--be the friend gets to the airport way before the flight so she has lots of time to deal with possible TSA issues. Good luck!
  • fauvefauve Posts: 3,151Registered User Senior Member
    I think you should plan on parking the car and going in with them to check- in and to the security screening. Having an adult to vouch for her might really help. If you just drive away, there is a good chance you'd have to turn around to pick them up if she didn't get through. Good luck.
  • rocketman08rocketman08 Posts: 1,194Registered User Member
    If the friend looks very young & is flying with someone else, sometimes they can convince folks that they're under 18. My D & companions have done this--one of the companions is 34 but mistaken for 14! Not very comfortable to rely on this--be the friend gets to the airport way before the flight so she has lots of time to deal with possible TSA issues. Good luck!

The TSA is a federal agency so faking your identity at such a checkpoint would not be recommended...
  • mousegraymousegray Posts: 1,642Registered User Senior Member
    My D has been allowed through with just a school ID because she did not have a driver's license. I was with her at the time, so I think it helped. The security guard wasn't happy, but she let us through. D was 17 at the time, I think. It's worth a try. You're more or less at the mercy of the guard. Just give yourselves plenty of time in case a supervisor is brought in. Also, does your D's friend have anything from the college on her--a letter, security card, etc? The more she can show (even a school t-shirt), the more convincing she'll be.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,347Registered User Senior Member
    My son forgot his passport on one of our college visits, (he didn't even have a learner's permit at that point). I had to lie that he was under 18, which I found out because they hinted to me that I needed to say that! At that point he got a little scribble on the boarding pass which alerted the TSA to give him special attention. They pulled him aside and gave him a good frisking with the wand. On the way home he didn't even have that. I don't know however what happens with an unaccompanied adult.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 17,185Registered User Senior Member
    There was never any FAKING involved, it was just that they assumed looking at these women that they were much younger than they were. They had their names & the ticket names matched their real names. D didn't have her ID as she accidentally left her purse behind (we rushed back & got it back to her before the plane left). The other times, the employees ASSUMED my companion was a young student (possibly my D) who was travelling with me. We didn't say ANYTHING to cause them to draw that conclusion, they came to it on their own, to the indignation of my companion!

I would also recommend parking the car & going in to be sure they get thru TSA or you may have to go back & pick them up. Sometimes having an adult with ID vouch for young people can be very helpful, depending on the agents involved.
    Sometimes having an adult with ID vouch for young people can be very helpful, depending on the agents involved.

That's what I was kind of wondering. She is 21 years old (D2 is 20); I can at least vouch that she stayed with us during the trip, and D can vouch that they go to school together (D has her student ID with her, too). Keeping my fingers crossed. We are giving ample time for any extra precautions security may wish to take.
  • sagitersagiter Posts: 358Registered User Member
    At Midway you will have to pass through a TSA agent BEFORE you get down to the security checkpoint with the machines. I would not only go in but leave yourselves alot of time before the flight.