Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Prius: Base model vs. Touring; or Prius II, III, IV, or V - are they related?

gadadgadad Posts: 7,747Super Moderator Senior Member
edited July 2009 in Parent Cafe
I'm confused. I'm looking at the Prius on the web, and price quote calculators want to know if you're interested in the "Base" model or the "Touring" model. But then when I go to packages and options, I don't find the words "Base" or "Touring" - I find four packages called II, III, IV and V. How do these terminologies correspond? What the "Touring" package mean?
Post edited by gadad on

Replies to: Prius: Base model vs. Touring; or Prius II, III, IV, or V - are they related?

• LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    More money?
  • my$0.02my$0.02 Posts: 901Registered User Member
    I believe touring is a designation applied to 2009 and earlier models.
    See "Is There Going to be a Prius Touring 2010?"

2010 literature doesn't mention touring at all, just II, III, IV, and V.

Run the 2010 Toyota side by side comparison for Prius II, III, IV, and V.
    II no bluetooth, 6 (not 8) speakers, no satellite radio
    IV, V leather
    V 17" wheels, narrower front and rear track, larger turning circle, LED headlamps
    V has options for dynamic radar cruise control, pre-collision system, lane keep assist and intelligent parking assist.

LongPrimes assessment is correct.
  • gadadgadad Posts: 7,747Super Moderator Senior Member
    Thanks 2 cents - that makes sense since the 2010 model is redesigned with a different body from the 2009. The website I was using needs some work - it shows the comparisons of the II, III, IV and V, and then when you click to ask for a dealer quote, you have to choose on the form whether you're interested in the "base" or "touring" models.
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    We bought in Oct 08, midlevel (touring?). Toyota sold/made very few of the low/base model (stripped). The midline had with the upgraded interior and small accessories package. The highline had the GPS and leather.

It appears that base is now the I model (not offerred, yet). The II and III is variation of the midline; IV model is a transition; V is the monied premium. I imagine that Toyota will be selling the III as entry, the IV for prestige, and V for profit. It also appears that the new models have been upgraded *without* an increase in pricing.