Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how can one print other peoples facebook photos?

highhopes2013highhopes2013 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2012 in Parent Cafe
the title asks the question

there are so may photos on facebook which have been taken by others that i would like to print or have printed up but the resolution is so off. been told by others that it is impossible to do this....does anyone know otherwise and if so, how?

thanks so mjuch
Post edited by highhopes2013 on

Replies to: how can one print other peoples facebook photos?

• IcarusIcarus Posts: 4,336Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah you can't get the original resolution from Facebook - you would have to e-mail or talk to the person who posted the picture and ask them to send you the original.
  • Phair1x23Phair1x23 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    You sound like a creeper.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
    If you have a Mac it's easy. Just click on the photo and drag it to your desktop, and from there drag it into your iPhoto.

Warning to all of you out there with questionable photos on your Facebook - by the time you wise up and take them down, it may be too late. Others can copy those photos very easily, and they can come back to haunt you.
  • suppasonicsuppasonic Posts: 400Registered User Member
    Right click on the photo. Save as. Print. You can try upping the resolution in photoshop, but whatever the quality its uploaded as is what you are going to get.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,927Registered User Senior Member
    According to my daughter facebook pictures don't come out very well when printed. FB changes the resolution and they just don't look crisp and clean.
  • thelilodancethelilodance Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    Facebook itself doesn't change the resolution of the pictures. Any picture taken off the internet by the right-click, save as method produces pictures at 72 dpi because webpages turn everything in to 72 dpi because it helps the page load faster.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,649Registered User Senior Member
    If you have a Mac it's easy. Just click on the photo and drag it to your desktop, and from there drag it into your iPhoto.

you should be able to right click --> save to iPhoto Library
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    Printer resolutions are far higher than monitor resolutions so that what is displayed on a monitor comes out pretty small on a printer. Images on the web are typically compressed and and carry a minimal amount of image data. You can't get a better printed image because the data just isn't there.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,256Registered User Senior Member
    ^That's true, but sometimes when I right click on a smallish picture and copy it into adobe it's still a small picture and is very fuzzy. Other times it's been saved as a fairly large picture and I'll have much better results. One recent example was a panorama that was 72 dpi and 14" wide. It looked pretty good when I made it 150 dpi and 7" long. I'm not printing to get a great photo though, I just want something I can use for reference.
  • jcharbojcharbo Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I found a simple tutorial with pics at Facebook Printing Tutorial
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,437Registered User Senior Member
    I think if the pics aren't public, you cannot move them or print them.
  • HuntHunt Posts: 22,424Registered User Senior Member
    If it's somebody else's Facebook picture, and you can see it, you can right-click to save it and print it. If it's private, you won't be able to see a full-size version of it. (You can always Print Screen to get anything you can see, of course.) The Facebook pictures do have low resolution, though, so they won't look great when printed out.

There are legit reasons to do this, such as when a friend posts pictures of you that you'd like to save, but don't care quite enough about to ask them for full-size files.
  • NJresNJres Posts: 5,264Registered User Senior Member
    I have been saving a lot of my son's fb pictures on my computer. He is overseas and posting many pics he has taken with his android phone. I haven't tried to print any, but they look great on my computer, away from fb.
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 5,488Registered User Senior Member
    DPI is fairly meaningless, it is really just a hint when displaying the picture so that the program that is scaling the picture can display it in something approximating its "actual" size.

What really matters is how many pixels are in the image.

On Windows XP, if you right-mouse on the image and pick "View Image Info" it will tell you how many pixels are in the image.

When you go to print it, the picture gets scaled to the size of the print you want. At that point, if there is less than 100-150 pixels per inch, it will not look good.

Any facebook image can be saved in Windows XP by right-mousing on it and selecting "Save Image As", I imagine it is similar for Windows 7 but don't remember exactly. Your browser will scale the images down when displaying them, however when you save them you should get the original.

Facebook also scaled most of my photos down from 2048x1536 pixels to 720x540 pixels when I uploaded them, and if you save it off of Facebook you will get 720x540 pixels. Printed as an 8x10", that would only be 72 pixels per inch, which will look very blurry. A 4x6" would have around 120 pixels per inch which will look OK but not great.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    When you go to a photo in a photo album on a fb, click on the options menu. One of the choices is "download." You can download the photo to your computer and then either print it yourself or send it to Costco for printing. If there aren't enough pixels in the downloaded photo, the 4 X 6 print won't be as clear as you'd like.