Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Mini Fridge with Freezer

ShesOnHerWayShesOnHerWay Posts: 757Registered User Member
edited August 2009 in Parent Cafe
Anyone have any experience with mini fridges with freezers? Suggestions on brands and sizes would be appreciated. Do they really freeze ice?

Thanks.
Post edited by ShesOnHerWay on

Replies to: Best Mini Fridge with Freezer

• edadedad Posts: 2,584Registered User Senior Member
    The small cheap ones do not work well. The freezer consists of an aluminum box which frosts up quickly. In humid weather this can occur in a couple of weeks and gets so bad the plastic freezer door will not work. Frozen food will not stay frozen.

Get a unit with a completely separate freezer compartment. This type is usually a bit taller and, of course, more expensive. We did this 4 years ago, so I don't remember the brands. As I remember it, the cheap units were under $100 and we paid about $175. The unit still runs well, is still frost free, and is quiet. Sometimes it is worth paying a little more.
  • kayfkayf Posts: 4,161Registered User Senior Member
    As noted on another thread, becareful how you transport these units. If not transported upright, oil will move around. Another poster said give it 24 hours upright before turning on -- you might want to ask strore about this.
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 3,123Registered User Senior Member
    We bought S the Sanyo 3.7 cu. ft. fridge from costco.com a couple of years ago and had it shipped to his college since we live 1000 miles away. It was less than $200 including the shipping. This isn't the small mini-cube size, it's 34" high.

The reviews on costco.com (posted after we purchased) aren't good, but my S has had no problems at all with his fridge going into its third year of use.
  • sunnyfloridasunnyflorida Posts: 4,790Registered User Senior Member
    Target has one for $179 when it is on sale. Will find the brand. It has the separate freezer and fridge doors and is nice and compact. It is rectangular and not square.
    I am so undecided. Should I return the Walmart one -- a small one. I love how the Target one looks, but I dont know why my D needs a freezer. I am afraid of her room becoming the party room.
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 Posts: 3,382Registered User Senior Member
    Don't forget to check any dorm restrictions. Some schools only allow certain types.
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Posts: 5,175Registered User Senior Member
    kayf, probably better to have one than not. If your D is an athlete, or simply wants to keep bottled water or Diet Coke for a drink in it, the dorm fridge will save money in the long run. At D's school, a soda costs $1.50 at the student center, where as she could buy a 12 pack on sale for double that.
    oh, I am definitely getting a frig. The walmart mni is in my basement ready to go. The question is do I return it for the bigger one with the working freezer. Idk what she would need for a freezer for. Ice cubes? yes, i checked dorm rules on size.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 37,715Registered User Senior Member
    Target has it on sale today for $139! Its an Emerson. DS had one of thoselittle cube sized things b/c his room was small and he didnt think he needed a freezer (we got the one that didnt even have the little aluminum thing in the top corner for ice cubes-- just all open), but now thats what he owns and no need to replace it. I believe one of his suitemates is bringing a microfridge.
    OK, just call my pscho mom. Changed my mind again. It is 33.5 inches tall -- will go to store and check. Will not fit in my SUV (small suv) upright.

See issues

http://www.target.com/Emerson-CR500-2-Door-Compact-Refrigerator/dp/B0014E448U
  • sunnyfloridasunnyflorida Posts: 4,790Registered User Senior Member
    The one at target is a steal!!! That is the exact one. I just saw the ad. Go for it before it sells out if you are interested. I think the freezer comes in handy. And a good buy is a Brita filter pitcher. There is a small one that fits in the door of the fridge. Saves big bucks on bottled water. D did that on her own and loves the taste of the cold water, without the price and hassle of buying and lugging a case of water up to the room.
    The reviews on that one are mixed, but it is a great deal even if it doesnt last. I was going to get the microwave thats on sale, but the reviews all say its dangerous and shoots sparks out after a few mos. No thanks!
    Agree about the challenge transporting a big fridge, kayf. Thats also partly why we got the smaller one (and he left it at a friends over the summer-- it wouldnt fit in the car to make it home). Many do rent summer storage units, but he didnt. This one at Target is in-store only-- not online, so cant be ordered and shipped (well you could ship, but would be very expensive)

*** edit-- your link says its available on line-- my local ad says in store only!! Hmmmmmmm

*** I was able to do an on-line order (though I didnt-- just wanted to see th s&h). It showed s&h for this fridge at around $40. Is that what others are seeing??
    Sorry, I meant to post link only for review issues, I dont think it is avialble online.

I am not so worried about replacing -- I am worried HOW we get it replaced.
  • MidwestMom17MidwestMom17 Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
    We got a 3.0 cubic foot (max size allowed in our dorm) with a little freezer compartment, made by Professional Series, at Menard's for $109. Unlike all the other ones we saw, it is very narrow & tall, good for limited-space rooms. Comes in glossy black or white.
This discussion has been closed.