Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Don't have dental work done if you have a cold?

anothermom2anothermom2 Posts: 1,626Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2009 in Parent Cafe
Went to dentist for a routine cleaning/check up with D. For a couple of days we thought she had allergy flare, but antihistamines were not helping. Got to dentist and said she may have a cold before starting any cleaning etc. Although I must admit that I really did not think beforehand that this was not a good idea in terms of public health (after all there are worse germs that I hope are sterilized away by the dentist's office) I was somewhat taken aback because the hygienist seemed to over react to the seriousness of the cold. So we went to see MD, and fortunately nothing more than cold or allergy (can't really tell the difference.)

Thoughts?
Post edited by anothermom2 on

Replies to: Don't have dental work done if you have a cold?

• VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,419Registered User Senior Member
    Isn't that why they suit up as if they were driving through plutonium?
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Posts: 13,800Registered User Senior Member
    I guess, piggy-piggy scared your hygenist.
  • intparentintparent Posts: 13,276Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe they suspect swine flu? D went to the dr (pediatrician still :) ) about a month ago when she had what seemed like a bad cold and her ears hurt. The pediatrician asked questinos that were clearly meant to rule out swine flu. Per the CDC, swine flu symptoms can include a stuffy nose...
  • ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Senior Member
    I had a cold and called the dentist. They said come on down..or over. Between the mask, gloves and handwashing as long as I was breathing through my nose, no problem.
  • anothermom2anothermom2 Posts: 1,626Registered User Senior Member
    I guess I know now that for this dentist cancel if you have a cold. This is a pediatric dentist, so both H and I go elsewhere. The MD did NOT think swine flu, and D is alot better today.

I think there are a lot of horrendous bugs out there. For many of them, you can not tell by looking. Lots of people have things that they don't even put on their history form. Some don't even know that they are sick. It just struck me a bit odd to get upset by a cold.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,766Registered User Senior Member
    anothermom, dentists are not wild about people suffering from colds for a few resons. They are concerned for your own safety (and the safety of other patients and staff, too) -a person with a cold is more prone to other infections than a healthy person, and medical offices no matter how well they are cleaned can spread bugs. Another thing to consider - would a child with a runny/stuffy nose be able to sit still and breath with his/her mouth open for an hour or so?

My dentists charge $50 for appontments cancelled within less than 48 hours, but they happily waive this fee if you are ill. They don't want your bugs in there unless it's an emergency.
  • anothermom2anothermom2 Posts: 1,626Registered User Senior Member
    We won't try to go again with a cold.
  • scoopcoopscoopcoop Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    There is a risk of serious infection when you have dental procedures.Endocarditis is a risk that many dentists are not willing to take-it's safer to rebook after all symptoms are gone.