Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Simple side dish for brisket?

worrywartworrywart Posts: 1,778Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2009 in Parent Cafe
I'm beginning to panic over the fact that not only have I not yet shopped or cooked for Erev Rosh Hashana but I have not even made up my menu! :eek: I plan to serve brisket and would like a recipe for a very simple but tasty potato side dish. Figure I'll also make a green vegetable and salad, all of which I can do on Friday. Tomorrow, I'll bake a sour cream coffee cake and set the table. Any recipe ideas?
Post edited by worrywart on

Replies to: Simple side dish for brisket?

• dg5052dg5052 Posts: 776Registered User Member
    Instead of potatoes, how about these carrots? You can make them tomorrow night and they will be delicious Friday--serve at any temperature, as the recipe indicates.

MOROCCAN CARROTS

Serves 10 to 12

3 pounds carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut on sharp diagonal into 1/3 inch slices
    1 cup fruity olive oil
    ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
    ¾ cup red wine vinegar
    ¼ cup sweet Hungarian paprika
    ¼ cup ground cumin
    5 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1 cup finely minced parsley
    1 tablespoon salt, or to taste

Place the carrots in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Cook over high heat just until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain immediately. Do not rinse with cold water.

While the carrots are cooking, make the dressing: Whisk the oil, balsamic vinegar, and red wine vinegar together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the paprika, cumin and salt.

Add the hot carrots to the dressing and stir to coat. Add garlic and parsley and toss to combine. Let the salad cool to room temperature, then serve. The salad can be stored in fridge for several days. For best flavor, let it warm to room temp before serving.
  • wjbwjb Posts: 2,899Registered User Senior Member
    Easiest possible prep is to peel and quarter potatoes (I like using Yukon Golds), salt them lightly, and add them to the braising liquid during the last 1 or 1 1/4 hours of cooking. Baste a few times. The braising liquid infuses the potatoes with great flavor, and the whole thing is virtually without work.
  • 2boysima2boysima Posts: 1,792Registered User Senior Member
    Braised with the juices of the briscuit is how they were always made in the home I grew up in. Carrots can also be put in....

For something more "modern"....seasoned potato wedges. Mix olive oil with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and rosemary. Cut potato into wedges. Pour olive oil mixture over wedges and stir to coat. (can also put in a plastic bag and mix around until potatoes are covered with olive oil mixture.) Place wedges on a baking sheet (not touching each other)Cook at 400 degrees until brown and soft on the inside. (amount of olive oil and spices depends on how many potatoes....)

For something traditional that really goes with the holiday (note the honey).....here's a recipe for Honey Glazed Sweet potatoes from the Dole package that is fairly easy and comes out very tasty. Can be assembled beforehand, refrigerated, then baked (the juice and honey flavor come through even better if it sits for a day or two in the refrig.):
    6 medium size sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup butter (or parve marg., if kashruth is an issue)

Boil sweet potatoes whole. Peel and slice.
    Combine honey, orange juice, salt and melted butter.
    Arrange a layer of sweet potato slices in a greased casserole. Moisten with honey-orange juice mixture. Repeat with layers of sweet potatoes and juice.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

(My twist from the Dole recipe -- Mand. orange slices, or even real orange slices, can be added in the last 5 minutes or so for a "fancier" looking dish!)
  • mafoolmafool Posts: 6,453Registered User Senior Member
    Roasted Potatoes, Carrots and Shallots with Rosemary Recipe at Epicurious.com

or

I often halve small redskins or quarter larger ones, toss them with olive oil, minced garlic, dried rosemary crumbled/rubbed between thumb and finger,and kosher salt. Roast at 375 or 400 degrees for 20-30 min, turning with a spatula once or twice. Season with pepper, taste and correct seasoning. Serve.
  • worrywartworrywart Posts: 1,778Registered User Senior Member
    All great ideas! Thank you. Yes, I used to enjoy when my mother would add the potatoes and carrots directly to the brisket in my youth. Then I married and now have a DH and DSs who say "ew" to that. Can you imagine???
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 10,682Registered User Senior Member
    I would just roast, at 400 degrees, cut up Yukon Golds, carrots, parsnips and onions. Sprinkle with olive oil, kosher salt, and thyme, and roast for around 45 mins to an hour.
  • ec1234ec1234 Posts: 1,201Registered User Senior Member
    sweet potatoes with marshmallows!
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Posts: 12,834Registered User Senior Member
    We fry potatoes on skillet with tons of olive oil, onions and garlic, pepper, Italian seasonning and salt (or bake them). We do not remove potato skins.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Posts: 12,834Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, we use exactly the same recipe for sweet potatoes as for regular potatoes.
  • mattmommattmom Posts: 1,763Registered User Senior Member
    Roasted potatoes (Yukon Gold are especially good this way) and carrots; just peel them and cut them and roll them in a little bit of olive oil, with salt/pepper/garlic powder if you wish. Put them on an aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, cover them with foil, put in preheated 400 degree oven for at least half an hour, then check to see if they are soft. Roast uncovered for five or ten minutes more after they are soft so get nicely browned on the bottom and don't taste steamed. The carrots can burn easily but otherwise it is really easy and pretty wholesome--goes well with brisket and other roasted meats.
  • Beil1958Beil1958 Posts: 546Registered User Member
    If you're looking for super-simple, I suggest the roasted potato recipe on the back of the dried Lipton Onion Soup Mix box. Cut spuds into bite size pieces--I like small 'new' potatoes--dump into a plastic bag, sprinkle soup mix on top, pour in olive oil. Scrunch them around to evenly distribute the coating. Roast in a single layer in a hot oven for about 30 minutes. Stir a time or two during the cooking process, if you think of it.
  • BromfieldBromfield Posts: 1,936Registered User Member
    This is a fairly simple recipe for smashed/roasted potatoes. Use the little red/white new potatoes.

Crispy Smashed Roasted Potatoes - Fine Cooking Recipe
  • spideygirlspideygirl Posts: 3,352Registered User Senior Member
    Cut small red potatoes and add lots and lots of whole garlic cloves. Mix in sprigs of fresh rosemary (or ground rosemary if you'd prefer). Cover very generously with cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, and black pepper.

Bake at 400 degrees (turning frequently), until soft on the inside and crunchy and browned on the outside.
  • roshkeroshke Posts: 2,951Registered User Senior Member
    Loving all these recipes. L'shana tova to all.

"Yes, I used to enjoy when my mother would add the potatoes and carrots directly to the brisket in my youth. Then I married and now have a DH and DSs who say "ew" to that. Can you imagine???"

No!! Having the potatoes soak in all the gravy is the way I always do it, too, but would definitely try other ideas.
  • ScoutScout Posts: 38Registered User New Member
    My 25 year old son called last week to ask how to make a brisket. He has a dinner at his medical school's mentor's house with his group and he wanted to take something "Jewish." He has just started cooking a very little bit during the last year and doesn't always follow directions. I gave him my recipe, but I typed it out like someone didn't know how to boil water! He did call from the grocery store as he was buying the ingredients and seemed to have everything he needed.

I didn't get to taste it, but he said it came out well. He did say he didn't like the ketchup taste, yet it is the same recipe he has been eating for 24 years; I don't know if he miss measured (or maybe didn't measure!) I was proud of him for trying to cook; now if I can get him to make something other than meat and his Caesar salad he can prepare an entire meal :-)