Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best way to clean a queen-sized comforter

kristin5792kristin5792 Posts: 2,016Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2009 in Parent Cafe
Hey CC Parents!

I'm puppy sitting for a friend of mine and puppy peed on my bed. Don't I just have horrible luck?

Anyway, now I'm stuck with a queen-sized comforter that definitely needs to be cleaned. What's the best way to go about this? I'm thinking a laundromat so that I can use a big machine, but I was wondering if you guys had any clever ideas or tricks for me.

It's green and white and is 100% cotton with 100% poly fill. Tag says I can wash it on cold then tumble dry on low. DwellStudio™ for Target Foliage Comforter Sets - Lime Green : Target

My washer's just a standard top loading Kenmore, and I don't really think it has the capacity to properly wash this one.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Kristin
Post edited by kristin5792 on

Replies to: Best way to clean a queen-sized comforter

• fauvefauve Posts: 3,233Registered User Senior Member
    Yep, you're going to need a laundromat large machine. I'd spray it now with Spray n Wash, or Shout to break up the amino acids before they set. Be sure to check that the stain is gone after using the washing machine, and before putting it in the dryer. Also, do not overdry, those dryers are sometimes superhot. You will avoid unnecessary wrinkles by taking it out when it is just very slightly still damp, then laying it out flat or folded once to finish drying. Good luck!
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,459Registered User Senior Member
    I would get an stain and odor remover from the pet store designed for urine stains. Spray it on, soak the stain, and then take it to the laundromat.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 36,702Registered User Senior Member
    We used something called "Natures miracle" (get it from the pet store) to neutralize pet urine smell. Do you hve any friends with oversize washers/dryers? Many parents have large w/d units (we do) and it might be easier to be at a friends house than at the laundromat. Other alternative is to take it to a dry cleaners, but that might be expensive. Good luck!
  • milkandsugarmilkandsugar Posts: 2,869Registered User Senior Member
    I wash my queen size comforter in my home washing machine without any problems. It is a standard size washer. The only thing I do different is make sure it is evenly distributed in the machine and put it on the gentle/low agitation cycles. I then tumble it dry in my dryer. It comes out nice and fluffy. I find the oversize washers in the laundromats very expensive and they don't always clean like you want and they beat the hell out of your stuff.
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,725Registered User Senior Member
    Once the comforter takes on all that water, it gets very heavy and can burn out the motor of a washing machine. Replacing a motor is a lot more expensive than a trip to the laundromat!
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,459Registered User Senior Member
    Stain and Odor Removers from the pet store: Nature's Miracle, Petastic, Brampton's Simple Solution, the garish Urine Off, Natural Chemistry Stain and Odor remover, and there's more. Nature's Miracle has the original high profile name, Petastic has the original Nature's Miracle formula, the others work also.
  • VehicleVehicle Posts: 421Registered User Junior Member
    Same thing happened to my comforter. Just take it to the laundromat and use a 3 or 5 load washing machine.

I let mine air dry at home. Good as new.
  • ConsolationConsolation Posts: 14,796Registered User Senior Member
    I recommend Nature's Miracle followed by a big laundromat machine.
  • bookiemombookiemom Posts: 1,879Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, you want to take it to a laundromat and use the large size machine. I don't think it's necessary to pretreat the spot. Puppy urine is not as strong as an adult dog.

My adult dog had an episode of incontinence on my bed, and I washed all sheets and quilts on regular cycle and the mattress pad in the large machine at the laundromat with no stains.

You might be able to dry the quilt in your dryer at home. Just take it out every 15 minutes or so and reposition it. I can dry my mattress pads at home, but have to wash in the larger machines at the laundromat.
  • NJresNJres Posts: 5,267Registered User Senior Member
    timely topic. Just yesterday wife was telling me how she asked around at drycleaners about cleaning an old beadspread, and two different places wanted $35 ! It was nothing special, in fact un-special enough that we don't want to spend $35 cleaning it!
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,725Registered User Senior Member
    I don't usually spend that much $$ buying a comforter, much less cleaning one!
  • wis75wis75 Posts: 8,916Registered User Senior Member
    I have cheated and washed "dry clean only" bedspreads and other stuff- being careful to not overdry or use high temps (sometimes). The Q comforter needs the laundromat- I have an old one that fits our front loader but a newer one I take and use the large dryer for as well.
  • lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Posts: 1,331Registered User Senior Member
    I take quilts and bedspreads to the laundromat because the front loaders don't have an agitator for the big items to get caught on, then I bring them home to dry. Put them in the dryer with a couple clean tennis balls to bang the moisture out of the filling. I don't dry it completely by machine. If you have a clothesline, that's good for finishing, or you can place on a drying rack of a couple wooden chairs in the house and turn a fan on it - it'll finish in no time.
  • beawinnerbeawinner Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    Second the Nature's Miracle/laundromat recommendation.