Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Quick and easy dorm "care package" ideas

MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,669Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2011 in Parent Cafe
We haven't had a thread like this for a while and I saw a good quick/easy/cheap care package idea today. Netgrocer.com is having a sale on a few items college kids might like. (Sale ends October 4th)

There are Herrs potato chips for $2 or Herrs oil and vinegar potato chips for $2.33
Keebler chips deluxe cookies for $2.50
Drakes (Cinnamon Streusel) Coffee Cake (cupcakes) for $1.88
Thomas' English Muffins 12-pack for $1.99
Pepperidge Farm Cheese Crisps crackers – 4 Cheese- for $1.99
and - ta-da! - Aqua fresh toothpaste, 5 cents with a ten dollar purchase.

Put about five of the treats together to make it a ten dollar purchase so you can add the nickel toothpaste.

Netgrocer.com uses second day saver rate Fed Ex shipping. If your order is under $25, shipping is $6.99 for most states east of the Mississippi and $9.99 everywhere else in the lower 48 states. A fairly substantial care package in the $17 to $22 range, just a few mouse clicks away. :)

Any other ideas? Mid-terms will be coming up; care packages may be in order.
Post edited by MidwestMom2Kids_ on

Replies to: Quick and easy dorm "care package" ideas

• worknprogressworknprogress Posts: 1,536Registered User Senior Member
    I stopped at JCPenney's and bought my dd some new socks - now i know that is not exciting, but I wrote a note that said when she didn't have to do laundry for a long time she would really appreciate my gift.

I also stuffed in a bottle of her favorite vitamins - they are kid's chewables. I know she likes them and as long as she doubles up - it is better than not taking any vitamins at all.

I also send her whatever is on special from Hale's (fruit) - tangerines can be pre-ordered now.
  • DeniseCDeniseC Posts: 898Registered User Member
    I have sent things from Hickory Farms, Harry and David, and AllPosters in the past that my kids have enjoyed. I don't see any spectacular deals there right now.

I will add Hales and Netgrocer to my "watch" list.
  • 1moremom1moremom Posts: 3,835Registered User Senior Member
    graham crackers and nutella. rice krispie treats made with peanut butter and chocolate chips. i just mailed off a used copy of "Starter for 10" (Starter for 10 : Review : Rolling Stone) for a cheap date night. I use a flat rate box and then use ziplocs of gummis, pistachios, etc. to fill any leftover space.
  • worrywartworrywart Posts: 1,783Registered User Senior Member
    I stopped at Target after work to get some things for my sons' Halloween care package. Neat battery operated lit jack 'o lanterns, ghosts, and goblins. Perfect for dorms where candles aren't allowed.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,193Registered User Senior Member
    A box of satsumas or apples from Costco (wrapped in tissue paper) fills a large flat-rate Priority USPS box quite nicely. Whatever space is left gets filled with gum, chocolate bars, microvawable popcorn packs. I even shipped kiwis across the country :)
  • kayfkayf Posts: 4,161Registered User Senior Member
    My D is going to college in a colder climate, I added extra gloves, etc (purchased on the cheap, which I dont care if she loses)
  • mrsrefmrsref Posts: 555User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    Try filling the "holes" in the package with trial/purse size lotions and things from Bath and Body Works. Last year I sent D1 some lotions from the "aroma therapy" section -- lavender for calming, something else for focus. They have little bottles of hand sanitizer in different scents...I picked some up for $1 each.
  • worknprogressworknprogress Posts: 1,536Registered User Senior Member
    I also bought hand sanitizers, but I didn't send them - I thought vitamins + hand sanitizer was a little too much :)
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,162Registered User Senior Member
    Bought D some protein bars (they were $23 for 72 rather than $1-2 apiece. Will be sending it with "prune mui," which is seasoned dried plums mixed with apricots, lemon juice, dark brown sugar, etc. It's tasty and nutritous--she loves it!
    Am also going to buy puffed rice cakes (that are tastier & less sweet than marshmellow treats) to send with them. It should give her more leverage to get S to deliver her couch back to her!
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    Last year someone sent some apples, an apple corer/divider (you can find these for $1), and caramel dipping sauce. I thought that was also a great idea for the fall (nice ideas listed above too). I would wrap that caramel sauce in a couple of extra plastic bags just in case it leaks!!
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 16,938Registered User Senior Member
    We save the comics from the Sunday paper and send them in a manilla envelope when we have 3 or 4 sets. Free except for postage and Son loves to receive them.
  • wbowwbow Posts: 972Registered User Member
    homemade caramel corn ships great and is perfect for sharing. once in a while i pick up a copy of the paper from his old hometown and send that to him for some entertainment. the small town police blotter can be tremendously funny to the big-city kids!
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,294Registered User Senior Member
    I made a Halloween Trail Mix for my son one year and sent it in sandwich bags so he could just pop it into his backpack

Candy Corn
    Raisins
    Dry roasted peanuts
    Halloween M and M's
    Mini Marshmallows
    Cheerios.

It was delicious.
  • worrywartworrywart Posts: 1,783Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds scrumptious! Thanks for the idea.
  • khsstitcheskhsstitches Posts: 596Registered User Member
    apples from the local orchard, mini whoopie pies, California suncakes (all natural, buy and ship online) nuts, trail mix, Annie's easy mac and cheese, sox, tissues, hand gel, Sudafed, copies of the county newspaper, candy...gift card to Whole Foods..it definitely is fun to make up but I am sometimes a bit surprised at the shipping price!!!!