Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

any tips to make cilantro last longer?

WuTangForevaWuTangForeva Posts: 525- Member
edited November 2009 in Parent Cafe
Will soaking it in water make it last longer? Storing it under vinegar, lemon juice, salt or saturated sugar solution that I can then wash off? Mix the leaves with rosemary or other antispoilage herbs? (Cinnamon?) It doesn't have to improve fridge life dramatically -- if it makes it last a day longer, I want to know.
Post edited by WuTangForeva on

Replies to: any tips to make cilantro last longer?

• limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,743Registered User Senior Member
    Don't know about cilantro, but I caught the tale end of a cooking show recently. The guest "chef" was showing how he sticks his basil in a half glass of water, then leaves the glass on a counter in his kitchen. Bet that would work w/ cilantro too.
  • WuTangForevaWuTangForeva Posts: 525- Member
    Hmm -- would the dark environment of a (closed) fridge accelerate decay by preventing photosynthesis?
  • worknprogressworknprogress Posts: 1,536Registered User Senior Member
    Lima - I would have thought so too, but I tried that and the cilantro didn't last very long that way either. The basil works great and the kitchen smells wonderful, but the darn cilantro gets limp pretty quickly. I am glad you are posting this question. I know when I buy cilantro, I had better use it in a recipe really soon. I have just started putting it in a loose plastic bag in the refrigerator.
  • Puzzled88Puzzled88 Posts: 1,098Registered User Senior Member
    Have you tried rinsing it, drying it and then packing it loosely in a plastic container with a lid and putting it in the freezer? I do that with basil and parsley when I have some left an am not going to use it soon. It gets freezer burned after awhile but when it's still good, it's really easy to crumble and use.
  • lamomlamom Posts: 1,185Registered User Senior Member
    I trim the ends put them in a glass measuring cup, much like you would fresh flowers, place cup in refrigerator. Everything else in refrigerator is in sealed container so other odors aren't available. I Change water when I remember.
  • mousegraymousegray Posts: 1,642Registered User Senior Member
    If you wash and dry them well without mauling them too much, they keep longer especially if you wrap them in a paper towel inside a plastic bag. Another thing I've done is to puree it with half a lemon's juice and a little water. It makes a great condiment. You can add cumin seeds or a little sugar or honey, garlic or whatever suits your fancy. It keeps for a few days.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Posts: 11,646Registered User Senior Member
    Trader Joes sells tiny frozen cilantro cubes.I have a linen bag for keeping rinsed parsley in the fridge. I've used it for cilantro too.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,130Registered User Senior Member
    lamom's method is what works for me. I also make sure the leaves are not wet, and cover the cilantro "bouquet" loosely with a plastic bag. But I much prefer my cilantro freshly picked from my garden (how long is it until spring?)...

Slightly off topic. The other day, I had a cilantro and lime chicken salad at the Downtown Nordstrom's Cafe for lunch , and it was so yummy I had to look up the recipe. Here it is:

Lime & Cilantro Chicken Salad

chipotle-lime vinaigrette:

1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
    ¼ cup fresh lime juice
    1 clove minced garlic
    2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (a teaspoon of chili powder will do)
    2 tablespoons honey
    ¾ cup canola oil
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, stems and leaves

3 ears corn, shucked and grilled or boiled
    1 ¼ pounds boneless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked and julienned
    1 ½ cups diced plum tomatoes
    1 pound mixed baby greens (Costco organic baby greens)
    2 cups grated Jack cheese (cheddar and mozzarella mix works)
    ½ cup roasted red bell pepper
    freshly ground black pepper
    ¾ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
    fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
    lime wedges for serving

In a blender, combine the vinegar, lime juice, garlic, chili, and honey. Process until smooth, slowly add the oil. Add the cilantro and pulse to combine. Set aside.

Cut the corn kernels from the cobs, add the kernels to a large bowl. Add the chicken, tomatoes, greens, cheese, and bell pepper to the corn. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Transfer the salad to chilled serving bowls and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges. Serve immediately. (I think this serves 4-6 people as a light meal)
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Posts: 11,646Registered User Senior Member
  • lololulololu Posts: 1,325Registered User Senior Member
    lamom's solution is what works for me. It will keep about a week. Freezing cilantro kills the flavor as well as the texture, as does drying or very much heat. The other things suggested in the OP would also pretty much overwhelm the cilantro -- there is reason it is always best added fresh right at the end.
  • baseballbaseball Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
    I cover my cilantro in a paper towel or newspaper and leave it in the fridge. It will last for more than a week.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,918Registered User Senior Member
    Seems I've heard something about buying plants with roots attached, which then lasts in the fridge when those root ends are in water.

Bunsen, the recipe sounds wonderful!
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,220Registered User Senior Member
    I buy cilantro from a Hispanic market that sells it with the roots. Like lamom I put it in a cup of water in the fridge which I cover loosely with a plastic bag. It lasts at least a long time, maybe even a couple of weeks? I also grow cilantro, but have trouble with it going to seed too fast. (Though the last set I planted which hasn't been hit by frost yet looks great.)
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,918Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks, mathmom, couldn't remember which ethnicity sells cilantro with the roots attached.

There are slow bolt cilantro seed available from catalogs, which I've planted in years past. I often have good self seeding in my garden from previous years plantings-so don't need to plant more.

This year I discovered that the partially formed coriander seed-still green, chopped and macerated a bit, is an amazing flavor. I think I cooked it with some ground lamb, garlic and cumin. The green coriander seeds crushed elevated the smell and flavor to out of this world.
  • memphismommemphismom Posts: 1,019Registered User Member
    i wrap my cilantro in papertowel and then in a loose plastic bag -this seems to keep it longest - the paper towel absorbs any ick that develops and the plastic bag improves the moisture level.