Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Ideal room temperature.

3bm1033bm103 Posts: 3,649Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2009 in Parent Cafe
I stayed at my sister's for a night and it was so warm in the room that I asked them what they kept their heat at. She said 66 degrees but that the rooms tended to be 68. I googled ideal room temperatures and they said room temperature is 68 - 77. I can't imagine keeping the house that warm in winter. It's true that their son was in a t-shirt, but I don't see a need to keep a house warm enough in winter to wear t-shirts.

So..............I'm asking around. What do you guys keep the thermostat set at in winter during the day and at night. How about in summer?
Post edited by 3bm103 on

Replies to: Ideal room temperature.

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,797Registered User Senior Member
    50 deg - we dont have air conditioning so if summer is warm we open a window.
    we wear warm socks and sweaters a lot.

I agree warmer than 65 seems really warm for winter.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 17,274Registered User Senior Member
    We are 64 at night and 68-70 during the day. I am cold-blooded and even bundled up can't handle below 70 very easily. My office feels cold at 73, for some reason, and due to "issues" with the building sometimes gets up to 82. When I get home and the house is 69 I feel like I'm in Alaska. In summer we keep the house at 80 during the day and 78 at night.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,432Registered User Senior Member
    My office is set at 75, and my house is set at 68 during the day and 64 at night.

I wear a coat in the house during the winter (often over the relatively lightweight clothing I had worn to work).
  • OnwardOnward Posts: 2,045Registered User Senior Member
    Our house is set like Momofwildchild's. I feel it is a reasonably comfortable temperature. I hate to be cold. And we wear sweaters and warm socks all winter long.
  • mantori.suzukimantori.suzuki Posts: 3,347Registered User Senior Member
    The ideal room temperature is 5 degrees warmer or colder than the current temperature in whatever room I'm in at any given time. Or so it seems.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 17,381Registered User Senior Member
    Just like MOfWC, I'm cold-blooded! We keep the house at 68 when we are in it, at 61 when we are not or when we are asleep. My office never gets warmer than 60-65 in the winter, therefore I'm a big fan of all things fleece, wool, and cashmere.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,797Registered User Senior Member
    speaking of room temperature if you are indoors do you take your coat off so " you won't be cold when you go back outside" or do you leave it on ( provided it is cool enough for you to be comfortable with it on inside)?
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    We're around 65 which my wife prefers. My home office is in the basement which is next to a slider so it can get pretty cold down there in the winter. I use a small ceramic space heater when it gets really cold. I turn the heat up to about 73 when I get up for a shower and then my wife turns it back down when I'm done. Everyone in the household likes it cold except for me.
  • garlandgarland Posts: 12,804Registered User Senior Member
    I aim for around 62-64.
  • barronsbarrons Posts: 23,792Registered User Senior Member
    Around 74 in winter during awake time in office and at home and 67 at night. Heat bathroom to 85 before showering. Summer like it a little cooler at 72 or so. We like it a little warm most of the time.
  • BookladyBooklady Posts: 3,122Registered User Senior Member
    70 during the day, 65 at night. I work from home (like BCEagle, in the basement), and any colder during the day, despite having a sweater on, my hands get icy.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 17,274Registered User Senior Member
    I feel guilty now. I yell at H that "I'm freezing" even at 68 (winter). I just can not imagine living in 64 degrees indoors. That said, I am pretty good at not racking up the air conditioning bills. I don't understand how people in Texas can afford to keep their houses at 68 in the summer. We were in shock every month when the bill came for our 80 degree house! Of course, all our guests about passed out from the heat....
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,164Registered User Senior Member
    68 in the day and 58 at night. As Californians, DH and DD feel that they should be able to walk around the house in shorts and bare feet the entire year. They would rather complain than put on a pair of shoes or a sweater. I , on the other hand, currently have my own internal heating system (aka hot flashes ).
  • OnwardOnward Posts: 2,045Registered User Senior Member
    All I known is that after being outside where the temp is 22 degrees (8 degrees wind chill), 62 inside with the sun beaming in, feels great!
  • roshkeroshke Posts: 3,006Registered User Senior Member
    I'm most comfortable when it's set at no less than 70 in the winter. Any colder than that and my hands freeze. i wonder if that is deceiving, though - it's a large house and heat gets lost quickly. I've been to other homes and have been very comfortable when temp is set at 68 or even lower.

In the summer I rarely even turn on the AC at all, even when temps get into the 90s (though we are at a higher elevation than surrounding areas, shaded with lots of trees and get a good cross breeze, so it probably rarely gets that high in reality). H and kids are the opposite of me - they LIKE it colder and wilt in the heat. I have a friend who keeps the house at 62 - I couldn't live like that!