Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Michelle Duggar

zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,833Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2009 in Parent Cafe
Had a 1lb 6oz baby girl. I'm holding them in my prayers.
Post edited by zoosermom on

Replies to: Michelle Duggar

• JustAMomOf4JustAMomOf4 Posts: 4,563Registered User Senior Member
    Oh dear. Just saw this on the news and my heart sank. We will have to wait and see on this. Hopefully, Michelle is be okay.
    BTW - baby's name is Josie. Cute name.
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,434Registered User Senior Member
    . . .Another site gives a 50% survival rate, and higher rates of handicaps.
    Prayers for the family.

(Anyone else notice something strange going on with CC--posts are misplaced, this thread is on 2nd page after recent posts?)
  • SilvermoonlockSilvermoonlock Posts: 469Registered User Junior Member
    I wish them well. This will be a challenging time for the family

The wife of one my employees was due in Sept, went into labor in May. Baby weighed about that much as (current) Baby Duggar at birth. Baby stayed in hospital until just about the due date (Sept). Young lady is now 8 years old. Lung issues over with around age 2.

Babies born that small can and do survive with few issues.
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Posts: 9,826Registered User Senior Member
    I am too. With that being said, I do harbor anger towrads them. I get that they want to accept all children from G*d, but I also feel that they put their needs above their children. This is not 1909, our medical knowledge would tell you that her age and the amount of births she was an incredibly high risk. As parents we have duties to our children that we have brought into this world. From a Catholic viewpoint they could have done the rythym method to try to prevent additional births. They have said that was never something they ever did.

I personally at a young age (26) had to face head on a pregnancy where they thought our child would be born with spina bifida (luckily the tests results were false positive and are no longer a part of pre-natal testing). My very 1st thought was about our DS who was alive and how his life would be altered.

My sister delivered my nephew at 29 weeks weighing 3 lbs., he has minor CP issues. It was yrs of OT, PT and medical appointments. She always wanted a 2nd, but instead she rescues dogs because she placed her DS over her wants.

Good parents place their desires behind the needs of their children. The Duggars believe that their children's responsibility as family members are to be pseudo-parents, teachers and day care givers. My heart breaks for the family because at that weight, the child will have life long medical issues, but it breaks more for the children because they will be expected to step up to the plate and will lose more of their child hood.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, dear. Since the modus operandi of this family regarding child rearing is having an older buddy taking care of a younger child, having a preemie this tiny can really wreak havoc.

We had a friend with a grandbaby who was teeny. Between infections, sleep apnea issues, lung problems, etc., it was all the mother could do to hang on--even with help from grandma and other relatives. The young baby died at about 1 year old.
  • collegeshoppingcollegeshopping Posts: 1,922Registered User Senior Member
    "My heart breaks for the family because at that weight, the child will have life long medical issues"

Not a true statement. My 7 year old daughter was born very early, just a bit over a pound, and is now a 53 pound powerhouse well within the height and weight ranges for her age. Her mental and physical development is above average and she has a crazy sense of humor. It was touch and go the first 5 weeks in the NICU, but at the 12 week mark, we left the hospital and have never looked back.
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,434Registered User Senior Member
    Actually, they are very fortunate to have so many older girls at home to take care of the sibs while mom is with the baby in Little Rock (3+ hours drive away).

I just read that babies born at 25 weeks (like this one) have about an 80% survival rate--depending on other factors, of course--also, chances of survival without major handicaps are around 80%, too.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,968Registered User Senior Member
    I was 24 when I had my daughter who was a 30 weekGA baby. Lenght of pregnancy, conditions of pregnancy(ironically stressful conditions as my daughter had in utero - she tied her cord into three true knots,can stimulate the lungs to mature earlier in Preparation for birth), are much more important than weight.

She was in the hospital for 8 weeks, came home before due date weighing 3lbs & 10 oz. Wasn't big enough to nurse until she was 4 months old.
    Fairly routine course of hospital stay ( for a premie) Intercrainal bleed, multiple transfusions of platelets, surgery when she was one day old for suspected necrotizingentrocolitis. On a vent and oxygen after recovery from surgery for a week or so.
    Didn't hit 20 lbs for well over a year or two , didn't hit over 40 for about 5 years.
    Gross motor delay well into grade school, learning disorders that persist, despite also being extremely intelligent as well. Other mostly brain related issues ( some of which were not apparent for years) not severe but enough to affect quality of life.

I had no way of predicting at 24 that my baby would tie her cord into three knots , causing fetal distress prompting her delivery at 30 weeks by section, however an elderly ( that is the term) mother who has given birth every other year or so for two decades would have to be an idiot not to suspect that she was not in optimum shape ( and we won't even bring up the condtion of sperm from a male of the same age).

It is hard to predict outcome but barring major heart/lung concerns she may eventually be OK.
  • clevelandcleveland Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    The Duggar posts on this and another thread just make me sad. We do not know them intimately, no matter how many reality shows, Today Show appearances, and websites they've made. We do not know if Mrs. Duggar was given corticosteroids to improve the baby's lung status, should she deliver early. All of this is speculation. One person can have a good outcome with a premature birth, while the next person can have a tragic one at the same gestational age and birthweight. Enough! I am sorry that this family (and any family facing these issues) is in pain and having to face difficult decisions.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    I wish the family well while also shaking my head at their having so many kids.

My younger S, 21 (who's now a very healthy, normal young man) was a 28-week preemie who was in NICU for 5 weeks and on oxygen 24/7 for 5 months and . What doctors told us was that socioeconomic status (and presumably gestational age) was the best predictor of how well preemies do. That makes sense to me because preemies require a lot of attention and resources.

S had a very rocky first year that included being his rehospitalized during his first year, something that also is typical for preemies.

We were fortunate that our older son was 4 years older, so didn't need as much attention from us as a toddler would have needed. I can't imagine trying to handle the various essential needs of a preemie -- including about one doctors appointment a week after he was released from the hospital -- while also taking care of 18 other children.

I wish the family well, but they all have a very rocky road ahead of them.
    All of this is speculation.
    That is the "CC" way! Speculative and judgmental - ;)
  • RebelCatsRebelCats Posts: 311Registered User Junior Member
    however an elderly ( that is the term) mother who has given birth every other year or so for two decades

So a 40 year old mom is elderly now? Are you kidding me?

Anyways, I have always liked the Duggar family and I harbor no ill will towards them. I hope Michelle and little baby Josie has a speedy recovery.
  • sunnyfloridasunnyflorida Posts: 4,790Registered User Senior Member
    The medical definition has always been than a women giving birth after the age of 35 has "advanced maternal age." This is not a judgmental statement. It has to to with mutiple risks that are increased at the age of 35. 35 is young these days, but it is still older in the risk sense when it comes to obstetrics. You cannot change the age of the eggs. You cannot change the age of the uterus. You cannot change certain physiologic realities no matter how young you feel.

In this case, the number of prior births is also a huge risk factor for both mother and child.

Some children do well at this birth weight and gestational age. There will certainly be high achievers in this bunch. But the medical reality is that this gestational age has a high neonatal mortality rate and a high rate of mental and physical challenges in those who are survivors. For every wonderful success story there are 3 more sad stories. This is tragic for any family.

And I agree with the poster who said that this changes everything. The child-rearing practice of the older kids raising the younger ones, leaving Michelle with less day to day, individual responsibilities has just gone out the window. The stress of managing a family with a premie destined to be in intensive care for months is hard to fathom with 18 other children. And bringing this baby home..... Even if the child does well, and we pray that she does, the challenges for the next year are huge.

THEY NEED TO TAKE AWAY THE CAMERAS and let this family be. But there may not be health insurance, and the bills even when there is are huge. And the travel back and forth is expensive. They may need the show to survive financially, but continuing the show when this baby comes home, with this development, is not in the best interests of the premie or the family. The stress will be magnified by the filming, the broadcasting, etc. Michelle will need to be hospitalized herself in a few months if they do not take this development private. They need to take a break, and let the show resume in a few years.
  • RebelCatsRebelCats Posts: 311Registered User Junior Member
    Sunny I have heard it termed advanced maternal age when over 35. I have never, on the other hand, heard it term elderly mother when they are 40 and giving birth to a child.