Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 947 Member
    @sabaray I find that there's a delicate balance between long runs and cross training. If your time is limited, one or the other tends to suffer from neglect. I can't imagine training for marathon and fitting in your cross training, unless one gets short shrift. My CF workouts, which consistently include short runs (also Airdyne/wind type bikes and rowing), take about 75-90 minutes. And then I typically run 3-5 miles on my non-CF days. My legs tend to have no life in them. I have no idea how my legs would react to 10 and 20 mile runs. And where I'd find the time.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    edited October 3
    (deleted)
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    We have some beautiful areas to hike and I would love to find some like-minded people. One of my biggest challenges is finding people I like to do active things with. I know a lot of younger people but unfortunately can't keep up with them most of the time

@sabaray I wish we lived closer together. I feel much the same way!
  • ohiopublicohiopublic Registered User Posts: 1,620 Senior Member
    Actually I think a mix of cross training and long runs would be a good mix for your marathon. I think ramping up some high mileage is asking for trouble.
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    I would definitely need to make some changes to what I'm doing now. @sushiritto, your cross training sounds a lot more intense than what I am doing - most of what I do is a complement to running. Training the first time, I only ran 3 times a week and cross-trained 3 days, rested one. Second round of training, I ran 5 days a week and it was a struggle. I appreciate everyone's input!
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    Did you find the first approach got you just as ready, sabaray? I want to train smarter for the next marathon I do. I actually bought that book you mentioned but can't find it! It's here somewhere.

Another topic: has anyone heard of a "mini 10k"? I didn't know what the "mini" referred to (is it shorter than a regular 10k)? Turns out it's a 10k for women. Isn't that cute. Not. I'm hoping there is some legitimate reason it's called that.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,746 Senior Member
    LOL. Not much has been called "mini" since the 80s when they had "mini marathons" (halfs)

To me the keys to marathon training are: (1) the long run and being comfortable with being on your feet 3 or 4 hours in training. The long runs can be really slow. (2) mid distance weekday run of 7-9 miles. Sabaray is good at that. I didn't do it. (3) Figuring out your nutrition and hydration plan (4) not getting injured
    edited October 4
    The long runs can be really slow.

I'm good at that, too!

I think the first approach was a better one for me. My two runs during the week were each 6-7 miles and then I followed a high/low schedule on the weekends. I did two sessions a week on the elliptical plus Pilates. I also had scheduled walk breaks during the long runs. The race went well - weather was a big factor in a good way. I'm better at running for distance than running for time - I like knowing how far I'm going to run rather than how long I'm going to run - I get anxious I'm not doing enough when I'm running for a certain amount of time.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 31,951 Senior Member
    Sabaray, for what it is worth, I trained for all of my marathons using the Marathon Rookie's PDF guide. It is very similar to what you think might work for you - there are run-free days and there is specific mileage slowly ramping up to a couple of weeks before the race day, then taper. I did free weights and body weight stuff on the non-running days.

http://www.marathonrookie.com/support-files/16weekmarathonschedule.pdf

(Yeah, I am lazy. :) )
    ^ I like that plan. Very straightforward and not insane.
    You recommended that to me Bunsen, and I used it as a guideline! It's a really good plan. The only thing I did was drop one of the running days, I think, and did longer mileage on two days. My longest run was something like 24 if I'm remembering correctly, and that's because I was so nervous about finishing - I needed that confidence boost.
    Oops, my bad - I remember posting it here but did not remember why I posted it... :)
    I keep checking the weather for this Sunday (half marathon). It's gone from rain and thunder to cloudy to sunny. I know it isn't reliable until about 24 hours out.

I never planned on doing 3 races back to back but this one (and the 10M) count toward our club points and standing. Apparently the 50+ ladies contingent is battling for 2nd place so every race til year end is important.
    Kid is signing up for a tri in Ohio... and she is shopping for a new bike because her bike is no good for semi-serious racing. Sigh. I have seen one of our posters here experience the joys of parenting an adventurous triathlete and I am less than thrilled at her choice of athletic activity. Another sigh.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,501 Senior Member
    ^^Where in Ohio? Cincy? 2018?