Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

Replies to: Diet/Exercise/Health/Wellness Support Thread

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 31,951 Senior Member
    Yes! That one.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    edited October 7
    ^ Very true @ohiopublic. And I love the Petty reference.

5 miles with the running club this AM.
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    5 miles is good, FallGirl!

Half marathon was good. I was happy with my pacing - really tried to hold back at first - and kept it steady. 1:52 which is slowest of the three I've done but I was pleased with it overall. Light rain and 73 degreees so not bad conditions. 3 weeks to next race and I'm happy for that.
    This morning, Mr. B shared this link while we were eating our egg, yogurt, and fruit breakfast:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/17/coss-marte-prison-workout-studio

"For ex-convicts, getting back on your feet is hard. Former drug kingpin and inmate Coss Marte is on a mission to change that, with his prison-style fitness studio that opened its doors at Saks Fifth Avenue in May. In The Wellery, Saks’ 16,600 sq ft health mecca teeming with high-end designer clothes, salt rooms and meditation classes, ConBody is decked out like a jail, with cell bars, metal fences and a backdrop for taking post-workout mugshots.

But this isn’t just another bourgeois boot camp plus some cute jail-striped jumpsuits. These workouts are actually taught by former inmates themselves. Marte employs 10 former prisoners, and they incorporate the same no-frills exercises Marte carried out when he was locked up in a 9ft x 6ft solitary confinement cell with nothing but a bed and a Bible.

“We don’t use any equipment – just our own body weight. And we’re not just working out; we’re solving a real problem,” Marte said."

Body weight exercises - awesome! I will buy his book when it comes out.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    @FallGirl --- thank you! The best part is all the women on my team are super nice, and many have kids about the same age as mine. We all took the Staten Island ferry back together and shared our aches and pains and remedies and work outs. Nice group.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I wasn't too keen on yesterday's hike location for the hiking club (too far, too crowded due to a festival), so I asked a coworker if she'd like to hike some trails with me. She said yes, and we did 11 miles of beautiful rolling hills.

I'm sore, but happy.
    That sounds like a great hike, Midwest67! Nice to find a buddy to hike with. Do you wear special hiking shoes for that?

Ran 6 miles this morning with my Wednesday group. One woman is thinking about deferring the NYC marathon (hamstring injury). It's not just the injury -- she hasn't been able to train as much as she'd like.
    @Classof2015

I actually wear Merrell Trail Glove 4, part of Merrell's "Barefoot" line.

https://www.zappos.com/p/merrell-trail-glove-4-molten-lava/product/8895522/color/23022

When there are stream crossings or a lot of sand, I bring my Teva Hurricanes along.

Since I don't own hiking boots (yet?), I'm wondering what I'll use for the winter hikes. The boots I wear in the fall and winter for walking the dog are comfortable (Salomon Uma Trois), but not good in water or very icy conditions. Some people suggested using YakTrax attached to a good winter hiking boot.

Most people in the hiking club are wearing waterproof lighter-weight over-the-ankle hiking boots, or some type of sturdy trail runner.

I waiver between being hooked to the feel of minimalist shoes, and wanting more cushion in the balls of my feet. I've become so used to light almost-not-there shoes, that "regular" shoes feel weird and clunky.

I tried on the Merrell Trail Glove 4 v. Salomon Speedcross 4, and the Salomons felt like too much shoe on my feet, but I think that's because I've gotten used to minimalist shoes.

https://www.zappos.com/p/salomon-speedcross-4-cs-slateblue-cosmic-purple-black/product/8697379/color/620827

I like the first ones! Very cool -- like a rugged running shoe.

I used to hike years ago -- there were very few options besides all out rugged hiking boots. They felt very heavy on the feet but were good for climbing. We used to hike Mt Washington once a year (6288 feet high) and the stiff boots were actually good on those rocks.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,711 Senior Member
    @Midwest67, if you decide to get hiking boots, go to a place like REI where they have many options, and you can try them out in the store. I think most REIs have a little "hill" so you can see what they will feel like when going up and down. Another good thing about REI is if you use them and they aren't comfortable, you can return them then also. (I have no association with REI, other than I shop there). My H and I have been hiking all week, and we wear LOWA hiking boots. They are very comfortable and don't feel as stiff as my old Vasque boots did. I think hiking boots have come a long ways in recent years.
    @1214mom

I ordered 2 pairs of Merrell Hiking Boots from Zappos yesterday. Same boot, 8.5W and 9W. If those don't work out, I'll drive to REI. It's not that far, just a lot of suburban traffic. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll probably need to head that way once their Ski Shop opens, for new bindings (so I can adopt my daughter's boots). Even though the hiking club goes every week year round, some of the hikers in the group recommended an area Nordic ski club, as in, "If you like this hiking club, you'll like this ski club too".

I'm slowly picking up some items for the cooler weather. Got a good deal on a Smartwool SS tee & heavier Smartwool LS zip neck base layer from Sierra Trading Post. And, got an Icebreaker zip neck base layer for a steal on eBay. And, an REI soft shell jacket for almost nothing that is like new. <---obviously, I cannot bring myself to pay retail!
    edited October 14
    The danger of multi-use trails... it only takes one jerk on a bike. Uhhmm... dude. Yelling "Hot pizza" is not the right way to announce that you are passing someone on their left.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/spokane-woman-is-standing-up-to-cyclist-who-yelled-hot-pizza-then-smashed-into-her-on-trail/