Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Water sports, near sighted kid?

sunnseasunnsea Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Parent Cafe
My son is near sighted and is interested in playing water polo and swimming. How do people who usually wear glasses participate? Do they wear contacts, and if so, are there special kinds for water sports? Thanks!
Post edited by sunnsea on

Replies to: Water sports, near sighted kid?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 15,838Registered User Senior Member
    Speedo, Nike, Tyr and many many others make optical goggles. They are not exactly your prescription glasses, they come in half diopters (e.g., -3, -3.5, etc.) and are good enough for swimming. Older kids wear contacts. My D wore her GP contacts under her regular TYR goggles when she swam. I do not think water polo players are allowed to wear goggles or glasses (please correct me if I'm wrong), so many kids play with just contacts. Since there is only minimal diving involved, contacts stay in place. That's what D did :)
  • vulture3vulture3 Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    I've never seen a water polo player wearing any sort of goggle or glasses - it would be dangerous considering the nature of the game! (It's an extremely physical, high contact sport.) My child wore contacts - never had a problem. My experience is limited to watching 4 years of high school. Players did wear goggles for lap swims during practices - standard swim practice operating procedure I think.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,738Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter was on swim team through high school, she wears soft contacts and regular goggles( everyone wears goggles, helps protect your eye from the chemicals)
    they also have prescription for most though.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 15,838Registered User Senior Member
    Many ophthalmologists advise against swimming in contacts. Their main point is that chlorinated water retained under contacts can cause more damage to the eye because the chemicals are not washed out with tears. But if your wear goggles that do not leak, pool water does not get into the eyes! However, some people still prefer to swim in optical goggles (my H does). Many online swim shops have them in stock. The trick is to find a style that fits your son's face comfortably and stays in place. I'd check with a swim shop in your city and let your son try on several styles to see what he likes.

Here, for example, is the Speedo goggle ( wow, they now make them in a very popular Vanquisher style!):

Swim 2000 Inc - Speedo Vanquisher Optical Goggles by Speedo

Optical Goggles - Goggles Speedo USA Swimwear

Here is a Tyr one:

Swim 2000 Inc - Tyr Corrective Optical Goggles by Tyr

Kiefer makes their own goggle (look for Item Number 690025):

Swimwear, Competitive Swimsuits and Swimming Accessories | Kiefer.com

Both Keifer and Swim2000 are reputable online swim shops, BTW.

There are some specialized prescription eyewear shops that make custom optical swim goggles, but they are not worth the expense IMO.

There are plenty of near sighted Olympians and World record holders!
  • 2blue2blue Posts: 1,604Registered User Senior Member
    My son used the Kiefer goggles. They fit his face well, and the price is great.
  • sunnseasunnsea Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, I agree, for swimming we can get prescription goggles. But for water polo, I guess he'll have to wear contacts, right? I once got a bad eye infection after wearing them to the water park, so I'm a little worried. He didn't wear anything last year, but I know he's not seeing well and it may affect his play...