Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Careers that do not require sitting in front of the computers that often

happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Posts: 1,202Registered User Member
edited February 2010 in Parent Cafe
I like intellectually-stimulating careers so construction worker and others along the same line are not really appealing to me. The harsh reality is, I cannot afford to sit in front of the computer for hours straight becasue of my poor eyesight. Therefore, things like working in the IT industry do not really suit me. Could you give me any suggestions for careers that are both challenging and not that eye-demanding? I wonder if there is a job that only requires me to think. Thanks for your help.
Post edited by happysunnyshine on

Replies to: Careers that do not require sitting in front of the computers that often

• tsdadtsdad Posts: 4,032Registered User Senior Member
    Outside sales, but that will probably require you to do a lot of driving. Does your vision prevent you from getting a driver's license?
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Posts: 1,202Registered User Member
    No. But outside sales... really not for me.
  • bigtreesbigtrees Posts: 1,191User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    Is it a personal preference for not sitting in front of computers or is it actually a medical problem?

I work at Boeing, and we have a few people with poor eyesight that work with computers. Because it's a disability for these people, the company provides reasonable accomodation to allow them to do their job.

If you think engineering is interesting, don't be discouraged by the computer aspect. While many / most engineering jobs are in front of a computer, a lot of them are in the field providing engineering support. These jobs are often the coolest jobs in engineering because you're out there in field with the products that are designed.
    @bigtrees: Can you give me any specific examples?
  • ELYELY Posts: 1,117Registered User Senior Member
    Look into Civil Engineering--are you good at math?
  • nightchefnightchef Posts: 1,450Registered User Senior Member
    What about teaching? Teachers have to use computers sometimes, but they don't sit in front of them all day.
  • moonchildmoonchild Posts: 2,873Registered User Senior Member
    How about nursing? Or outdoor and environmental education, forestry, animal training, recreation, restaurant management, hotel management? Think about your interests first, and then think about what you might do that would bring you into contact with people and the outdoors.
    em... I lean towards humanities with some sciences integrated.
    Teaching is really not for me; I really don't have the patience explaining the same thing one time after the other.
  • bigtreesbigtrees Posts: 1,191User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    Sure, here are some examples.

Right now petroleum engineering is hiring like crazy. A lot of petroleum engineers will work in the oil field supporting the mechanics and the crews with laying the pipes, drilling the wells, and getting the oil field setup. It is working with construction but the engineers are doing technical support for the guys operating the equipment.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    Can your vision problems be corrected?
    It sounds like you have a research project cut out for you. ;) Why not check out a book on careers, like the popular "What Color is your Rainbow," (I think that's the title) and see what interests you. There are so many careers out there that many of us know nothing about. Ask your friends what their parents do, and ask your parent's friends.
    Use the internet to learn about various careers and how to prepare for them. You are the best judge of YOU, and what you'd find fulfilling. Good luck, and good for you for looking ahead before jumping into something that probably wouldn't be right in the long run. This is the perfect time to really figure out what you want out of a career, and life.
  • nightchefnightchef Posts: 1,450Registered User Senior Member
    Moonchild--it's "What Color is Your Parachute." A friend of mine who works in career counseling for a northeastern small college says it's still the best one out there.
    Lol--thanks, nightchef. :)
  • FindAPlaceFindAPlace Posts: 4,706Registered User Senior Member
    We have a friend who just received his PhD. He's been involved with fisheries in the state of Alaska. From what I understand, he has plenty to keep his mind busy yet his work provided plenty of outside experiences when he scuba dives to do experiments or research. I'm thinking something in foresty would have similar elements.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,648Registered User Senior Member
    Dog training.