Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Current Babysitting Rates?

broetchenbroetchen Posts: 1,130Registered User Member
edited February 2010 in Parent Cafe
We are out of the loop as to the going rate for nannying/ babysitting.
How much should an eighteen year old student with driver's license be charging per hour these days? Right now her schedule is flexible enough that she would likely be doing after school (or preschool) and/or evening hours.
She is also bilingual in a language of interest in our area, so that may be a "value added" for some folks...

All input welcome!
Post edited by broetchen on

Replies to: Current Babysitting Rates?

• limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,746Registered User Senior Member
    Our area is rather affluent. Depending on experience, responsibilities, and number of children, she'd earn $12-$17 per hour around here. Not sure nanny rate.
  • mousegraymousegray Posts: 1,642Registered User Senior Member
    There seem to be huge regional differences, at least according to my D. Midwest pays pittance in comparison to the northeast. Then again, D keeps remarking on how "cheap" groceries are in the midwest.
  • OhioMom2OhioMom2 Posts: 639Registered User Member
    I think it totally depends on your area. Here in Ohio (suburb of Cleveland) pay would be around $8-$10 per hour. BUT on the other side of Cleveland pay would be $5-$7 per hour and downtown Cleveland would be $5 or less per hour.
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Posts: 4,327Registered User Senior Member
    I think for an 18 yr old probably around $9/hr. For a younger teenager, $5-7. That would be normal in our area.
  • broetchenbroetchen Posts: 1,130Registered User Member
    wow, that is quite a range. I guess I need to check with people in this area. Thanks, everyone.
  • wis75wis75 Posts: 9,013Registered User Senior Member
    Definitely check on your local area. Find out what people around you are willing to pay- that is what your D is worth, not her special credentials. A lot depends on the financial status of your neighborhood. I'm not sure I would want a teen babysitter driving my kids anywhere, the convenience would be for your D to get to further jobs.
  • raideraderaiderade Posts: 2,499- Senior Member
    In my area it's 8-10 per hour. In Manhattan it's 15-20 plus a cab ride.
  • musicmommusicmom Posts: 2,352Registered User Senior Member
    Surburban NJ, about $10/hr.
  • MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,712Registered User Senior Member
    D just earned $20/hr. the other night, but in an urban area AND caring for three very young kids. Geography and number/age of kids are key.

When I was in high school in ancient times, I had what all my friends considered to be the ultimate babysitting job. Every Friday night I looked after one little boy who was always already asleep when I arrived, and at a time when the going rate was 50 cents an hour, I earned an hourly wage of $2.00!! Icing on the cake--they had a great collection of jazz LP's.
  • pageturnerpageturner Posts: 776Registered User Member
    Well, I look at it as "how much can a teenage kid make on a w-2 earning, taxed job?", and base it on that.

I live in a fairly affluent community, but kids are having a hard time getting jobs in this economy anywhere. $10./hr seems more than fair for a teenager. I'd pay more for experience.
  • bbkittybbkitty Posts: 255Registered User Junior Member
    I am in Michigan and pay $7/hr but also round up to add a little extra-so instead of $21 for 3 hrs, I'd go $25 or 4 hrs would be $30. My D is 6.
  • meredesfillesmeredesfilles Posts: 513Registered User Junior Member
    We are in Chicago suburbs. My daughter earned $10 an hour before high school.
    In high school she made $12 an hour.

When she is home from college she makes between $12-15 an hour. It depends on the number of children and if she drives them anywhere. She has one family that pays her $20 an hour. Needless to say she is HAPPY to watch their children.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 27,348Registered User Senior Member
    We are in the Chicago suburbs as well. D makes $10/hour to babysit two little girls, and they will err on the generous side in calculating the exact amount. I'm amazed at what she earns, remembering the days when I made $2/hour!

Edit: Do you mean true nannying/babysitting, where there is a real expectation that the nanny/sitter will be a positive influence / role model / teacher, or just the Saturday-night-parents-out-for-a-movie type of babysitting where the expectation is that the sitter will keep the kids safe but if they sit and watch movies the whole time, so be it? I think the expectations of those are very different.
  • rocket6louiserocket6louise Posts: 3,391Registered User Senior Member
    In my neighborhood it's 5-7/hour
    20 minutes away you can easily get 12/hour
  • xAAAxxAAAx Posts: 1,465Registered User Senior Member
    $8/hr is what I got