Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Okay. How do I keep my dog off my car?

ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
edited July 2012 in Parent Cafe
After losing our beloved chocolate lab, we adopted a year-old black lab mix who is really a great guy. We love having him in the family. However, a week or so ago DH and DS came home from the grocery store to find him hanging out on top of DH's roadster. Not on the hood, but on the roof. Cute, right? A few days ago I noticed some mud on the hood and windshield of my fairly nice sedan. Both not so bad until we noticed the scratches in the paint. This has to stop and we're not sure what to do. (We also have a corgi, both dogs stay outside in our yard when nobody's home.)
Post edited by ingerp on

Replies to: Okay. How do I keep my dog off my car?

• coureurcoureur Posts: 11,386Registered User Senior Member
    If the dogs are outside put the car inside. Park it in the garage.
  • ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
    Great idea but we don't have a garage. :(
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
    I suggest using one of the synthetic polishes like N*-F*n*sh (in the orange can). The finish is so slick that the dog will slide off. And it will prevent most dog nail damage to the paint also. For the first couple of days you might want to put a beach towel on the hood ... a visual indication to the dog that "something has changed."
  • astrodebastrodeb Posts: 96Registered User Junior Member
    Catch your canine on the roof and spritz him hard on the nose with a pop-top water bottle. Do this several times, and you won't find him on the car (although he may do it while you are out of the house). Of course, since your dog is a Lab, he may just open his mouth and enjoy the water stream! The second option is to use the "marmot method" and surround the car with a fence of chicken wire. Marmots in the Sierra tend to chew radiator hoses to get to the anti-freeze, so hikers surround their vehicles with chicken wire. Your dog might also enjoy a used little kids plastic climbing set which has a perch on which to survey his territory. The dog boarding facility I use has lots of these, and I always see dogs perched on the top.
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,140Registered User Senior Member
    Your dog is looking for the best place to sun himself I would think. Dogs love to do that and seem to understand that a certain amount of time in the sun is needed. My dog begs to go on the back deck in the morning to sun and when the sun shifts to the other side of the house, begs to go on the front deck to sun.

Is there something else you can provide for that activity - something that gets as warm as the top of the car but might be even more comfortable?
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,123Registered User Senior Member
    Scat Mat? Invisible fence (around your cars)?
  • NJresNJres Posts: 5,261Registered User Senior Member
    I would explain to him in a calm voice that he does not belong on top of my car.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,974Registered User Senior Member
    I can't help it- this is so funny- the neighbors cat always used to sit on top of an old car that my H has been " working" on. But the thought of a puppy doing the same thing ( labs are puppies until they are about four- at least mine was), cracks me up.
    Sorry I am not more help.

I think Catera has the right idea- just like with kids- we can't just say no, we need to provide an option that we both can live with or else it wont' work.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,123Registered User Senior Member
    I would explain to him in a calm voice that he does not belong on top of my car.

:D A couple of weeks ago I overheard my neighbor explaining to his lab mix that the new Porsche in the garage was not to be mistaken for a porch to sit on! I doubt that the pup got it, because the car is now covered with a tarp (inside the garage!).
    Thanks for all of the suggestions (and the smiles). I really do think it's kind of funny.

This is a guy who does like to please. DH got very angry with him when he caught him in the act, but I think that's a temporary solution. I hadn't really thought about providing an alternate area--I suppose the top of a car does get pretty warm. (DH also wondered if he's just trying to get away from Corgi, who tends to be a little annoying at times.) I'm not sure but don't think it's a "surveying his area" kind of thing, probably more a "hanging out in a warm, Corgi-free spot" thing.

Re: the invisible fence, that has been DH's solution for his little car--parks it near the fence and I think that has kept Lab off. I just like parking closer to the house because I seem to always be lugging in groceries.

We never had this problem with our old lab, but this one definitely has longer legs. Although there was that time that our old lab (in his heyday) ummmm. . . ate the bumper of my BMW. Could not figure out what the heck was going on. Finally discovered a baby fox in my engine.

(NJRes--love it.)
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,449Registered User Senior Member
    Porch ... Porsche?
    Sounds the same to me.

I think a dog dedicated high deck is indicated here, either a recycled Little Tykes climber or an actual dog house with a way to get on the flat roof ...
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,140Registered User Senior Member
    I'll bet if your H managed to drive off a bit with the dog on top, he would never get back on top again. Not recommending this because he could get hurt - or he could love it. Then you could film it and make money on the funniest home video show.
    < charging up the video cam now >
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,682Registered User Senior Member
    I'm wondering if the dog would like a picnic table to hang out on.

My solution would be a car cover or a fence around the car, because dog toenails are going to do a lot of damage pretty quickly.
  • 07DAD07DAD Posts: 5,155Registered User Senior Member
    Have you thought about buying the dog his own car? Perhaps he would take better care of one if it was his (or hers--whatever).