Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to preserve a pencil drawing?

momlovemomlove Posts: 497Registered User Member
edited July 2010 in Parent Cafe
My dad just gave me a pencil drawing for my birthday that he drew when he was a young man. The drawing is probably 60 or more years old and my dad has not drawn since then, so this is really precious to me. I love it but I want to be very careful about preserving it into the future. His sister had it for most of the past 60 years, and he received it after she passed away a couple of years ago. I don't know how she stored it. The paper is a little bit thinner that a normal sheet of paper, and I think it may have been folded at one time. The paper is slightly yellowed around some of the edges.

How should I go about preserving it? Should I make a copy for display purposes and store the original separately? If I do display it, what special precautions should I take? Should I go somewhere special to have it mounted for display?

My dad had a very rough childhood and the tenderness in the drawing is so touching to me. I want to be able to pass it along to my son someday (he is majoring in art in college).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post edited by momlove on

Replies to: How to preserve a pencil drawing?