Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Present for Eagle Scout ceremony?

ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
edited April 2010 in Parent Cafe
The son of a friend is having his eagle scout ceremony in a few weeks. Is it customary to give a present? (If so, what?)

Thanks, o wise and experienced CCers.
Post edited by ingerp on

Replies to: Present for Eagle Scout ceremony?

• curiousercuriouser Posts: 1,313Registered User Senior Member
    S was an Eagle Scout and we were lucky that many family members were able to attend his ceremony. A few family friends as well. Not everyone gave him a gift but most did.
    Since he was also a high school senior, cash or check was the popular choice. My sister gave him a beautiful compass from Scotland (?) though. In addition to a check, we gave him a handsome wooden box (I think I got in on the Scout website) that had an Eagle in pewter on it and we engraved the date on it too. Their website had a number of Eagle specific gifts. Another idea--he received a cool key chain in the shape of an eagle with his initials and date of the ceremony engraved on the back.

I must say, the ceremony was way more emotional and special than we expected. It turned out to be one of our life's highlights. Congratulations to your friend and his son.
  • ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
    Thanks very much. I know they're all so proud. Got a suggestion of eagle scout cufflinks from someone else--and he's off to college next year. (So maybe I'll get him a shirt with French cuffs for graduation??)
  • MotherdearMotherdear Posts: 1,289Registered User Senior Member
    OP, I pm'ed you.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,518Registered User Senior Member
    Parent of an Eagle here. A gift is not necessary, but a congratulatory card is a good idea. A congratulatory card with a small cash/check gift or a small giftcard enclosed would be VERY appreciated, I'm sure - but not required.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 15,741Registered User Senior Member
    Some people brought ds a gift to his ceremony, some didn't. I certainly didn't expect anything from the families in the troop or teachers who wrote him LORs and such. Most presents came from family members.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,826Registered User Senior Member
    My oldest son is an Eagle Scout. He got cards from some of the attendees and some of those included gift cards or checks. The local Boy Scout shop (attached to council headquarters) has suitable unique gifts too. Just the recognition of a card was good.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,721Registered User Senior Member
    At my 2 nephews Eagle ceremony, most people gave cards with cash/checks in them. The amounts ranged from $50 - 250...depending on how well the person knew the boys.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 17,148Registered User Senior Member
    People gave cards--often with money from $5 or 10 to one for $100. Some also gave other small items. I sometimes give t-shirts or dress shirts or small amounts of cash as well, depending. The reception is generally buffet meal at the lanai where the scouts regularly meet and often hosted by two new eagle scout families. It is a very heartfelt event.
  • ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
    <running out to the card shop now!>
  • MotherdearMotherdear Posts: 1,289Registered User Senior Member
    The scout stores have lots of nice ES/BSA memorabilia. If you are especially close to the scout (ie parent), you could applique all of the patches he has onto a wool blanket that the scout stores sell. You could also commission a quilt that incorporates the Eagle's patches, tshirts, and beads.
  • PanhandlegalPanhandlegal Posts: 521Registered User Member
    One of the best gifts our Eagle received---a very nice book on leadership (by John Maxwell--not coming up with the title) inscribed with kind words. He still refers to it several years later. I've 'stolen' this idea a couple of times myself.
  • MissouriGalMissouriGal Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    Hey, am I the only one? Nobody around here gives gifts at Eagle ceremonies. Families may privately give gifts to their Eagle, but no one here expects to get gifts from people attending the ceremony. Maybe that is because a large proportion of the attendees are other scouts and their families.

Do you know the scoutmaster or anyone else in the scout's troop you could ask? Apparently traditions vary.
  • sevmomsevmom Posts: 3,656Registered User Senior Member
    MissouriGal, You said what I was thinking. Traditions vary. Both sons are Eagles and I have been to many ceremonies. Where we are, gift giving is not very prevalent beyond immediate family. A ceremony, families and the troop getting together and acknowledging the accomplishment with a small reception after is common but major gifts are not common or expected.
  • limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,701Registered User Senior Member
    Congratulations to your son achieving Eagle! My son is finishing everything just in time for his 18th birthday. I mentioned the Eagle Scout Ceremony and he expressed a really negative attitude (which is not like him). Now he's saying he does not want to have any ceremony at all. Can anyone who has experienced this share. Do they need to have ceremony? What is the structure?

I love the card and book ideas.
  • sevmomsevmom Posts: 3,656Registered User Senior Member
    Some kids and families in our troop have gone together on a ceremony if they are friends and finishing up close to each other. Some older kids sometimes have just gotten the Eagle presented at the same time as a regular Court of Honor if they didn't want to make a big ceremony of it. I would check with the scoutmaster about their expectations in regard to a ceremony.