Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ID theft for minor

mazewanderermazewanderer Posts: 1,399Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2010 in Parent Cafe
I tired to register my younger S who is a high school freshman for a dual credit course at a CC and also open a minor savings account at a credit union recently. Both came back with an "SS# Does not match name" response and the credit union is refusing to open the account unless I get a letter from the SSA that SS# on their records matches my son's name. What they tell me is that someone else (with a different name) has been using my son's SS number for several years. We never have had to use his SS number for anything before. Anybody has any experience on how to deal with this or how to approach the SSA.
Post edited by mazewanderer on

Replies to: ID theft for minor

• HImomHImom Posts: 19,215Registered User Senior Member
    I'd go to SSA & bring your son's original SS card, birth certificate & any other ID he has and make an appointment to talk with someone there. Do NOT have personal experience with this issue but imagine it is not as uncommon as we might think.