Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Soap that does not contain animal products?

NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 5,427Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Parent Cafe
S2, at the age of 11, has become an animal rights activist. He gave up meat a while ago and, even though he loves it, he refuses to touch it. Fortunately, he will eat fish, because "fish don't have feelings."

Yesterday he told me that the bar soaps we use contain an animal product. He also checked the liquid soaps that we have, and only one of them was free of animal products. I told him that I would try to find substitutes. Right now, he is running to the downstairs powder room every time he needs to use the bathroom so that he can wash his hands with the animal-free liquid soap.

I have used Dove soap for many years, because other soaps irritate my skin. I even used it on my face until about 2 years ago, when a dermatologist recommended a "beautifying" face wash. My husband will only use Ivory, because he believes that other soaps irritate his skin.

Any recommendations for mild, animal-free bar and liquid soaps?
Post edited by NYMomof2 on

Replies to: Soap that does not contain animal products?

• musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,117Registered User Senior Member
    Try "Kiss My Face" olive oil and green tea soap. It's not tested on animals and contains no animal products. They sometimes have it at Trader Joes.
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 5,427Registered User Senior Member
    S2's concern is sodium tallowate, an ingredient in many soaps that is derived from animal fat.

I will check out your links, thanks!
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 5,427Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks, musicamusica! I'll try it.
  • eireanneireann Posts: 1,373Registered User Senior Member
    Dr. Bonner's is animal-free I believe. I think that most of the soaps at Trader Joe's are. I usually look for a logo on the back that says that no animals were harmed/no animal testing/something like that. If you want to buy online, there are also a lot of vegan grocery websites that have stuff.

Bath, Body and Hair Care Products / Soaps -- VeganEssentials Online Store

I'd also look for Foodfight and Herbivore Clothing. If you have a local food co-op or a Whole Foods, they should have plenty of animal-free soaps as well.
  • binxbinx Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    This website might help. I found it while I was trying to figure out if Octagon Soap had any animal products in it (I never got a definitive answer on that.)
    Swaminarayan Sampraday - Which Toothpaste to use
  • "just"aMom"just"aMom Posts: 2,132Registered User Senior Member
    The soaps that are labeled Kosher will contain no animal product. Look for those. That goes for many other products as well such as Kosher gelatin.
    Just an FYI, kosher does not mean animal free. Kosher gelatin is made with fish, not hooves or whatever conventional gelatin is made of. A vegan equivalent is probably agar. I don't know much about other kosher products, and I know some of them are animal-free (tofutti products were originally made for kosher Jews and are widely used by vegans) but please check. I know I've studied ingredients on kosher marshmallows at Whole Foods only to be disappointed.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 19,518Super Moderator Senior Member
    Kosher soaps don't have animal products - they can be used for "milk" dishes as well as for "meat" dishes. If they had animal products, they could be used only for one or the other.
  • fishymomfishymom Posts: 1,849Registered User Senior Member
    I second the Dr. Bronner's soap. I have been using this soap for 35 years and I swear by it. It comes in liquid and bar soap and is animal free. I used the baby soap for my children when they were babies, switched to the lavendar as they got older. My husband and I use the peppermint soap, which I also use for cleaning and laundry. And we keep a small bottle of eucalyptus on hand for cold season.
    If I was incorrect in stating that Kosher soap is meat-product free, I'm surprised. My mother kept Kosher, and I was pretty sure.
    "just"aMom, I didn't mean to contradict you. I know very little about kosher, and didn't even know that kosher soap existed, and I know that a lot of kosher products are animal free. I was just responding to your last statement about gelatin, because I do know that kosher gelatin is not animal free, unfortunately. I just wanted to make sure that people wouldn't assume all products were. I'm sure you are much more of an expert than me in this, though!
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,463Registered User Senior Member
    And if you want to throw another wrench in the works ... fish certainly know who feeds them! When I visit my tropical fish wholesaler to buy stock for the pet store, the fish ignore me walking up and down the aisles ... but let the fish manager come out on the floor (he would be the guy that brings all the goodies 2x a day) and all the fish come to the front of the tanks. Fish have more going on than we think they do ... and I bet they do have feelings!
    eireann - I didn't think that at all.

My mom is dead now, but I did send an e-mail to her Rabbi who was quick to respond.

For gelatin to be kosher, it must come from a vegetarian source or be produced in a specific way. If a gelatin comes from a source that is neither animal-based nor dairy-based, it is pareve, meaning it is a neutral food and Jewish adherents, wanting to remain kosher, may consume this items. This type of gelatin comes from carob beans, agar-agar, guar gum and xanthan gum. Deep water fish may be used in the preparation of kosher gelatin. In short, gelatin may be kosher if the animal it came from was kosher but all forms of vegetarian gelatin are considered kosher. Look for the kosher label when buying gelatin products. This is the only absolute way to ensure your diet remains kosher. Unfortunately, without the determination on the product itself, you may not be kosher if you eat items prepared with gelatin, such as marshmallows, yogurt, fruit juices or gummy-type candy treats. If the ingredients list gelatin but do not list which type, chances are it is not a kosher product.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,290Registered User Senior Member
    fish certainly know who feeds them!
    Lawdy this is true- the other day we were at a pond shop and the rather large koi were perched on the edge of the pond on their pectoral fins thinking we were going to feed them.

( I buy kosher hotdogs- I know they have "meat" in them, but I feel more assured that the meat is listed on the label)