Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Tennessee is not landlocked anymore!

MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,878Registered User Senior Member
edited June 2010 in Parent Cafe
Devastating weekend in Tennessee with Nashville and surrounding areas flooding. I am trapped out of town and can't fly back in (flights to Nashville cancelled) until Tuesday evening. It's bad. My house and pets and my daughter/son in law's place are all fine, but I have many friends with damaged homes and cars. It is simply astounding.

In true Music City fashion, there is already a song on YouTube about the flooding. Naomi Judd's buffalo (plural?) are loose!

H and I are inconvenienced but our pain is so small compared to those in our community who have damage to homes- and those who have died.
Post edited by MomofWildChild on

Replies to: Tennessee is not landlocked anymore!

• frazzled1frazzled1 Posts: 4,927Registered User Senior Member
    So sorry to hear about the flooding. I've been following the story on the Weather Channel and online. According to the Vandy website, they've canceled exams tomorrow. Hoping the waters recede soon - and glad that you and yours are well.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Posts: 4,796Registered User Senior Member
    Some of the dorms at Vanderbilt have been evacuated, as some of the basements have flooded. Hoping this deluge ends soon for all in the Nashville area. Positive thoughts for you, MOWC, your family and friends.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,444Registered User Senior Member
    Which dorms have been evacuated? I have a nephew there.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Posts: 4,796Registered User Senior Member
    I'm sorry, I don't know. My niece is there and I was told that her dorm is fine. I know that they are finishing up finals now and some students are leaving for the summer already.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,205Registered User Senior Member
    So sorry to hear about the flooding, and (since this is CC) at such a bad time for college students.
    And yes, buffalo is both singular and plural. And cool animals, hope the ones that are loose find high ground.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,499Super Moderator Senior Member
    My D is in Towers & things are good there. She checked on her car, which is also dry at this point. Exams are canceled for tomorrow. A young woman we know was out of town for her brother's graduation & we don't know if she made it back before the airports closed - that would make exam time even more stressful for her, I am sure.

The footage is unbelievable. My heart goes out to those who have lost so much. I am thankful my D is okay. I hope you can make it back soon, MOWC.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,444Registered User Senior Member
    Wow...I'm south of Vanderbilt and the rain is really coming down hard now.
  • Faline2Faline2 Posts: 3,844Registered User Senior Member
    wow..I had not heard..just flew my Vandy son home yesterday and his planes were all delayed..got home at midnight...we hadn't been keeping up...

Nashville does have some fierce rains and some tornado action...finals cancelled is a big deal...gracious!
  • midmomidmo Posts: 3,720Registered User Senior Member
    So far my son's Mayfield Lodge is dry. I forgot to ask about his car.

The photos on the web are a terrible sight. When that river water recedes, the muck--and the snakes and other river life that stays behind--will make for weeks of misery.

So sorry for all who are affected.

It sounds like the medical center is having some big problems. One of the posters on the Vanderbilt CC site is an employee; she says some of the employees can not get home, others can not get in to work their shifts.
  • 2VU06092VU0609 Posts: 1,746Registered User Senior Member
    I hadn't realized how bad things were there until yesterday afternoon from posts on CC and fb. Later on NBC Nightly News I noticed that Jim Cantori was reporting from Nashville. He reported from my hometown in early 2009 as we were enduring a weather event that made us a national disaster area and left us with permanent damage to our once beautiful landscapes. We now laugh and say it's never a good thing for him to come to your town. I think things may be worse than what we are seeing as this story is taking a backseat to the very sad story of how the oil spill will impact the livelihood of so many on the Gulf coast.
    this is the biggest event in Nashville rain history, and I remember big rains in Nashville the two times we lived there...so many people also stranded. I had plans to drive into Nashville later on this week so will be watching to hear that the interstates are open and safe. I need to come on 140 and 124 West ....so if anyone is traveling that way in the next couple of days, let me know
  • midmomidmo Posts: 3,720Registered User Senior Member
    Well, Faline, there is a Youtube video of a classroom trailer building *floating* down I24 past a long line of submerged trucks and cars. Then it crumples and sinks. The interstate is more like a river than a road at this point, so I'm thinking it won't be in good shape later this week.

My son tried to 'forge' his way on foot through a flooded parking lot at the VA Hospital last night, past submerged cars. He tripped over a curb and went head-first into the water. It looks like it is dangerous just walking around the campus, much less getting on the road in a vehicle.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,101Registered User Senior Member
    I'm thinking of y'all. D's roomie is stuck at her Nashville home. Their driveway is crossed now by a 100' wide 10' deep river. Rhodes has been evacuated several times by tornado sirens over the past several days but D hasn't mentioned any flooding like y'all are having.

And yeah. I saw that video clip of the building headed down the highway. Unbelievable. Many people underestimate the power of moving water. That was a helpful reminder.
    midmo, wow. Your poor son! I just didn't realize how dangerous conditions are.

I guess I better put a call into Residential housing and see what they are recommending as so many people planned road trips to empty spring term dorm rooms...son is doing summer sessions and is home for a brief while.
    Curmudgeon, I read that the water may rise more so I hope your daughter's roommate's driveway is long and that river not close to their vehicles and foundation.

Golly! this is serious business
    Mom of Wild Child, sorry you are stuck with no return flights allowed into the Nashville airport. Makes me think that flying in for us at the last minute would be an issue with other travelers backed up and getting in mid week. If you can get a reading on expressways, let me know later this week. I see that some of the postings on Channel 4 were being challenged by bloggers who lived near some of the roads reported flooded.. so I suppose all such information is quite fluid (no pun!) at the moment.

Last time I drove into Nashville, I was really surprised by the numbers of multiple wrecks backing things up between Knoxville and Nashville..a windy stretch of highway heavily traveled by trucks and cars. People died that day. I was just a lot younger when I used to do this trek from middle TN to Virginia and used to worry about nothing sans cell phone or airbags. Older and more aware of things now.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 35,630Registered User Senior Member
    So sorry to hear of all the damage. We had similar flooding here last year and the Red Cross had to open emergency shelters.

The rain headed this way, but the worst of it sems to be over. Thoughts are with all Nashville friends...