Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Student on Student Lacrosse Murder at UVa

SaintofmeSaintofme Posts: 344Registered User Member
edited August 2012 in Parent Cafe
A University of Virginia men’s lacrosse player has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a U.Va. women’s lacrosse player, according to Charlottesville police.

George Huguely, 22, a fourth-year student from Chevy Chase, Md., is in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail, according to a statement from police.

The victim has been identified as Yeardley Love, 22, a fourth-year student from Cockeysville, Md., according to police.

Officials haven’t determined a cause of death, but Love’s body, which was found at a 14th Street Northwest apartment, showed physical trauma, according to the statement.

Witnesses told police Huguely and Love had been in a relationship, according to authorities.

The university posted a statement from President John T. Casteen III about Love’s death and Huguely’s arrest. It reads, in part: “Although we know nothing other than what appears in the Charlottesville Police Department’s more recent statement, this death moves us to deep anguish for the loss of a student of uncommon talent and promise, and we express the University’s and our own sympathy for Yeardley’s family, teammates and friends. That she appears now to have been murdered by another student compounds this sense of loss by suggesting that Yeardley died without comfort or consolation from those closest to her. We mourn her death and feel anger on reading that the investigators believe that another student caused it.“
Post edited by Saintofme on

Replies to: Student on Student Lacrosse Murder at UVa

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 9,024Registered User Senior Member
    Wow, that's awful. Just completely awful.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,674Registered User Senior Member
    Duke Scandal Hits Home - washingtonpost.com (from 2006)
    Huguely's father, George, Sr. said yesterday that he's had discussions with his son, who will play at University of Virginia next season, about staying out of situations that could be costly.

"Regardless of what winds up happening, you have to learn from this experience and take what you can from it," George Huguely Sr. said. "You always have to remember and can't let yourself be in a situation where something like this could happen."

guess the father/son discussions weren't successful.
  • 2boysima2boysima Posts: 1,792Registered User Senior Member
    Article is from 2006.

Haunting.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,630Registered User Senior Member
    Weird coincidence that this guy's dad was interviewed back then.

Such a pretty girl...

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1133694
  • sciencenerdsciencenerd Posts: 1,458Registered User Senior Member
    Why'd they first say it was an overdose on alcohol?

Was it both then somehow?
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 17,001Registered User Senior Member
    It's so terrible. I think we've all had fears that our child has been hurt when the phone rings in the middle of the night. Can you imagine getting the call, "Mom, I've been arrested for murder"? Horrible horrible horrible for both families.
  • nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,850Registered User Senior Member
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/03/uva-mens-lacrosse-player-accused-killing-female-lacrosse-player/

I'm a little confused. Her roommate suspected an alcohol overdose. Did her roommate find her in her bed in her dorm room? There were visible injuries on her body. Did she die of the injuries or from an alcohol overdose? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Such a sad story.
  • legendofmaxlegendofmax Posts: 4,732Registered User Senior Member
    That's awful. :/
  • sabaraysabaray Posts: 4,310Registered User Senior Member
    nysmile, Charlottesville Newsplex has comprehensive coverage that may explain a bit better. This occurred off Grounds, not in a dorm. Really, really sad.

UVa Men's Lacrosse Player Charged with Killing Fellow Student-Athlete

I know this is a public forum, but please, let's all think of these young people's families. It is human nature to want to know what happened and all the details, but let them come out in due time. I feel so horribly sad; my D attends UVA and I am thanking God that I wasn't the mother getting either of those phone calls today.
  • yorkyfanyorkyfan Posts: 558Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, this is such a tragedy. She was a beautiful young lady. And I don't want to believe another student could have done this to her. Perhaps the young man was arrested because he was a boyfriend. I guess we will wait for the police investigation. I feel nothing but sorrow for both families.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,630Registered User Senior Member
    I've followed enough of these kinds of murders (boyfriend, husband, etc) to know that they only arrest someone when they have sufficient evidence. Up to that point, the person is considered a "person of interest" and isn't arrested. Cops don't like calling someone a suspect and arresting before they have evidence because then they have Mirandize them, etc.

They've arrested him because of either a confession or something at the scene that connects him to the crime (for instance, if he has scratches on his body and she has his DNA under her nails or his cell phone pings place him at her home at the time of the murder.).
  • nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,850Registered User Senior Member
    My heart goes out to both families.
  • futurenyustudentfuturenyustudent Posts: 5,366Registered User Senior Member
    The cops have to mirandize people they arrest no matter how much evidence they have.
  • jonrijonri Posts: 5,238Registered User Senior Member
    Lets not assume he's guilty. We don't know.

As for the alcohol overdose 911 call, my understanding, based on comments posted on-line by folks who SEEM to know what they are talking about, is that she lived off campus with two roommates. The two came home about 2 am. One went into Love's bedroom to talk to her and found her face down on the bedroom floor. Yelled to the other girl for help. They turned over Love. When they did so, they noticed that she had bruises on her face, but assumed that she had fallen and the bruises were the result of the fall. They called 911. When asked what was wrong, the caller said it was a possible alcohol overdose.

I think it's perfectly natural that if a college student found her roommate comatose in an apartment with no sign of forced entry or robbery, her first guess would be alcohol or drugs. (The fact that drugs weren't mentioned probably means she didn't use them.) The roommates weren't at home when whatever happened happened. They do not know what happened. They were GUESSING. Their major concern was to get the EMTs there as quickly as they could and convey a sense of urgency.

When the EMTs came, she was already dead. The EMTs didn't think the bruises were the result of a fall--and they may have ---I am totally guessing--seen some bruises that weren't visible when she was completely clothed while trying to revive her. In any event, the EMTs called the cops.

Until they do an autopsy, nobody can say how or why she died.

I feel some guilt about posting this because a lot of it is pure speculation. However, I don't think ANYONE should be GUESSING that the young woman who DIED had had too much to drink. There is NO evidence of that. At least have the decency to wait for the autopsy.

It is a tragedy for both families. My heart goes out to them.
  • sabaraysabaray Posts: 4,310Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you, jonri.