Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

is life boring after college?

ManayyManayy Posts: 299Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Parent Cafe
everyone talks about how their college years were the best and they wish they could go back. people also say how they don't want college to end. they make it seem that all the fun stops after you graduate.

does life really suck that bad after college?
Post edited by Manayy on

Replies to: is life boring after college?

• 3bm1033bm103 Posts: 3,605Registered User Senior Member
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,133Registered User Senior Member
    It's a living hell.
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,237Registered User, ! Senior Member
    Manayy, one of my kids graduated college a year ago. She is in the same city where she went to college and is with many of the same friends, but is working. She is very happy. She doesn't miss college, though loved college. She is just on the next step of her journey.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 9,141Registered User Senior Member
    Life is only boring if you are boring.
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Beat me to it Nrd !!!
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,524Registered User Senior Member
    Everyone talks about how their college years were the best

Who is this everyone of which you speak- ?

They sound fairly sad.
    :(
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 17,031Registered User Senior Member
    Well, for some college is mom and dad paying all the bills, never having to get up before noon because none of your classes start before 1 pm, going out to drink Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, sleeping with lots of different people, going to big time football games and concerts (again on mom and dad's nickel), going to the beach for spring break (again, thanks mom and dad), knowing that you have three more months of vacaton time coming in a couple of months. Lots of independence, lots of free time, and for some, plenty of money. Real adult life is not lke that.
  • sewhappysewhappy Posts: 4,428- Senior Member
    Life is kind of hard (at least was for me) when I faced down my first permanent full-time job. The hours, days, weeks seemed to stretch ahead of me into infinity. The best solution is to embrace your work, get absorbed. It get's better. Then you have kids and the real terrors begin.
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    Get a job at an university. Unintentionally, that's what DS did. First day on job he reports in at 9:00am, discovered that the grad students that he's supposed to assist work on student hours (11am-8pm) - so he goes back to abode and catches more z'z.

Now he's getting paid for what he used to pay. :)
  • coureurcoureur Posts: 11,386Registered User Senior Member
    No, life's not boring, because after college is when you get married and start having kids. And life is never boring when you are raising kids.
  • sewhappysewhappy Posts: 4,428- Senior Member
    ^ shhhhh . . . don't let it get around how great it is to work in academia
  • amtcamtc Posts: 2,679Registered User Senior Member
    I loved being out of college and in the "real world!" I lived in Manhattan and was broke but it was all mine! No homework or papers due. Met all sorts of really interesting people. Could go out and drink or go to clubs without any problem, no need to drive anywhere. Had a few different jobs over the first 5 or 6 years and learned a lot. I loved the freedom and didn't mind being broke.

Coureur - I didn't get married and have kids for over 10 years after graduating college, loved my freedom too much!
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 17,031Registered User Senior Member
    they make it seem that all the fun stops after you graduate

It can happen. A friend's son started college two years early and got a "great" job in a different town right out of undergrad. He was the only new hire, so everyone at work was years older, married, kids, etc. It was very difficult for him to develop a social life.
  • OnwardOnward Posts: 2,033Registered User Senior Member
    who has time to be bored.