Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Socks and Birkenstocks?

AmesieAmesie Posts: 811Registered User Member
edited June 2010 in Parent Cafe
My daughter and I are having a dispute about socks (not a heated dispute, more of a philosophical exercise--I am trying to pick my battles). I am of the belief that socks should be worn with shoes whenever possible. This includes sandals, like Birkenstocks, except when going somewhere like the beach. My daughter believes that socks with Birkenstocks are too "dorky" (her term) in the summer, when she is wearing shorts or a skirt. I do see her point but think that sweaty feet without socks is worse than looking dorky. And we live in the south, where it is hot and humid in the summer.

Anyone care to weigh in?
Post edited by Amesie on

Replies to: Socks and Birkenstocks?

• MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    Socks with Birkenstocks is all the rage in GERMANY. I love Birkenstocks, but if someone is wearing them he/she should not worry about looking dorky. They are dorky--with or without socks.
  • BookladyBooklady Posts: 3,122Registered User Senior Member
    Agreed, but the socks make them look even dorkier. Sandals are made to be worn barefoot.
  • laxmomlaxmom Posts: 1,449Registered User Senior Member
    no socks w/sandals The only time I wear socks with Birkenstocks is in the dead of winter.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,470Registered User Senior Member
    No socks with sandals...

No offense to those in the Midwest, but while growing up in Southern Cal, we used to say that anyone who showed up at the beach with socks and sandals HAD to be from the Midwest. (we were just kids)
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,673Registered User Senior Member
    After I read the first post, I was going to say exactly what MD Mom said, but she beat me to it.
    if someone is wearing them he/she should not worry about looking dorky. They are dorky--with or without socks.
  • garlandgarland Posts: 12,673Registered User Senior Member
    Dorky overall, dorkier with socks.
  • tango14tango14 Posts: 1,578Registered User Senior Member
    I've threatened H (who is European and would tend to wear socks and sandals if I allowed it) and two Ss that I will not know them if I ever catch them in socks and sandals.
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Posts: 5,301Registered User Senior Member
    I wear soft-footbed birkenstocks and socks to work everyday. It looks too unprofessional to have my naked toes showing! ;)
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,709Registered User Senior Member
    Oh god. I must be a dork. I'm sitting here wearing black wool socks and birks.

Socks and sandals---even I know it looks bad. But my feet were cold.
  • rainbowroserainbowrose Posts: 1,804Registered User Senior Member
    I think socks with birkenstocks only work when you're wearing pants. I don't think socks could be pulled off with any other sandal EVER
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Posts: 5,301Registered User Senior Member
    I wear pants to work every day - with my socks/birks. See, only partially dorky! ;)
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 17,087Registered User Senior Member
    Colorado look- socks with Birks. Summer in the south- no socks.
  • CIACIA Posts: 1,120Registered User Member
    Birkenstocks aren't just sandals though. What about socks with these:

http://www.womenrunningshoes.com/birkenstock_shoes/images/birkenstock_clog_shoes1.jpg
  • kristin5792kristin5792 Posts: 2,016Registered User Senior Member
    CIA: I think Bostons can go either way--probably socks in the fall, no socks in the spring & summer. Who cares if your feet are a little cold. You'll survive.

As for the Arizonas (the 2 strap sandals that are pretty popular), don't wear socks with 'em. Period, amen. If your feet are going to get that cold, wear shoes not sandals. I really don't even get this debate.

There's another Birkenstock that's like, an Arizona with a back strap. I come from a city that's overrun with private Catholic high schools (points if you can guess which one--hint, "where'd you go to high school?" is everyone's favorite question) that have horrendous dress codes most of the time. One of the girls' schools didn't write their shoe policy very strictly and a few years ago some students noticed the loophole that the Arizonas + back counted as legal shoes per the dress code. That style of Birkenstock, with socks because dress code requires them, have been all the rage at that school since. Teenage girls in preppy oxfords, plaid skirts, and "Jesus sandals" with socks is quite a sight to behold.

I'm a huge Birk fan because they just feel so darn good on my feet. I just got some gold/bronze Gizeh sandals and wear them all the time.
  • fishymomfishymom Posts: 1,849Registered User Senior Member
    I live in the South Florida and the only people who wear socks with sandals are the tourists!