Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Gift Ideas for someone who will be in a hospital and then rehab

northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Parent Cafe
I am looking for things to send long distance for a person (female) who is in the hospital and will probably require rehab later. This person is in her 70s and normally very active for her age, but won't be running a marathon any time soon. Any gift ideas? I really don't know her interests, but this is the mother of a very close friend. I would prefer to send things that are much more special or useful than sending flowers.
Post edited by northeastmom on

Replies to: Gift Ideas for someone who will be in a hospital and then rehab

• sopranomom92sopranomom92 Posts: 1,339Registered User Senior Member
    Comedy DVD's, maybe some of the older comics like Alan King or Rodney Dangerfield? Old Johnny Carson or Ed Sullivan DVD's? Several seasons of a favorite TV show? Opera/Musical theater DVD's? Ask your friend what type of music,entertainment, and books her mom enjoys. Books on tape?
  • binxbinx Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    What is she is hospital/rehab for? Helps to know which part is broken -- If she's had a stroke that has affected her eyes, movies might be difficult, and she might prefer books on tape. If she's had a hip replaced, then give her things to do with her hands. Klutz book or that type crafts, for example. Or a nice set of stationary for thank-you notes.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    Great ideas. I might be able to ask her D about which DVDs to buy. I wonder if family might get a Netflix account. I know that she currently does not have one. DVDs are probably a very good idea. I will ask about which type of books too.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,682Registered User Senior Member
    Ask close friend what her mother wants. Some want magazines, others books on tape. Some knit. Some don't. Ask!
    binx, not a stroke. She had an accident and has multiple fractures. She would be in great health otherwise. She is not up currently, so I don't know how physically impaired she is, but there are multiple fractures. She is currently sedated.
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,674Registered User Senior Member
    I sent my friend the complete Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side books. She said it was her favorite gift, because she could enjoy reading them in small bits when she wasn't able to sustain focus.
  • somemomsomemom Posts: 9,253Registered User Senior Member
    I am recuperating from surgery and whilst I am an avid reader, I am too spacey to read more than a page- a stock supply of magazines would be nice. I find I am alert enough for about the IQ level required for The National Enquirer ;)

A book on tape is great especially if it is one that she has already read, that makes it easier to follow the story even if you drift away for a while.

I am loving Netflix streaming, you could give her a free month of netflix and sent up a queue for her or make sure some one could teach her to stream old shows. My plan is to go through the entire series 24
  • FallGirlFallGirl Posts: 4,244Registered User Senior Member
    If she has use of her arms/hands, a puzzle book might be good. A friend gave me one after my surgery and it was a nice change of pace from reading and watching TV/videos.
  • crazedcrazed Posts: 1,909Registered User Senior Member
    While DVD's and Netflix are great, she may not have a DVD player in rehab.
    I like the idea of books. Maybe Large print- I don't need reading glasses, but if I borrow a hardcover LP book at the library, I am amazed how easy it is to read. This may help her at 70+.

My Mom just turned 80 and she loves James Patterson books. Interesting from the start and very short chapters!

Also, a subscription to a weekly magazine may be nice.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,036Registered User Senior Member
    A graphic novel might be nice change from books on tape

I like Persepolis but there are lots of titles.
    Thanks all. After all of this, my DH thinks that flowers would be nice to send. I suggested to my husband that we wait a day or two and then we will ask her daughter what her mom might appreciate the most. Frankly, I think that flowers would be viewed as very nice, but I also believe that she'd prefer something that is a bit more practical/useful.

Crazed, good point about the dvd player!!!
  • EPTREPTR Posts: 3,649Registered User Senior Member
    A digital frame that will scroll through family pictures. If someone could load it for her, she would have a constant slide show of loved ones to keep her company.
  • jasmomjasmom Posts: 992Registered User Member
    As a gift for my elderly FIL (who mostly just sits at this point), we purchased and loaded an Ipod shuffle. He loves it.
  • PackMomPackMom Posts: 7,410Registered User Senior Member
    When my Mom's mobility was pretty limited she really loved doing crossword puzzles.
    She got the inexpensive magazine type books (like you find on the racks at the gro. store or WalMart) with dozens of puzzles in them and enjoyed working on them a little at the time throughout the day. She said it helped to keep her mind active when her body was in pretty bad shape.
  • lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Posts: 1,331Registered User Senior Member
    Jigsaw puzzles are nice, especially if she has a spot where she can keep it set up. It's something visitors can join in on, making the visit a little less focused on a body in a bed or whatever happens to be on t.v. at the time - a way to spend time when you've exhausted the topics of conversation. Some board games are good, too, depending on the likes and abilities of the person, even playing cards.

If the person has a window on the ground floor and is going to be in the rehab place for weeks, I think a bird feeder is a nice idea. The feeder can stay after she leaves. Someone has to remember to fill it, of course.