Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

So I ran my cell phone through the washer...twice

saxsax Posts: 4,351Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2010 in Parent Cafe
and it still works!!!

Threw it in the dryer inside a bunch of socks, threw in a couple towels and turned the heat up high. Then I left it on the deck in the sun for a few hours and this morning I put the battery in...turned it on and ....voila...it works. The front display is still full of water droplets but the inside is same as ever.

How cool is that. It's a motorola. Nothin fancy. Camera even works.

Gotta appreciate the little things....
Post edited by sax on

Replies to: So I ran my cell phone through the washer...twice

• Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    Throwing it in a bag of dry rice would have also done the trick.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Posts: 2,545Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter has tried the rice trick too. Once, she had to leave it buried in rice for two days but then it came back to life. I think it does affect the ultimate life of the phone though.
  • teriwttteriwtt Posts: 9,991Super Moderator Senior Member
    H's phone was underwater for about ten seconds and was dead. Tried the rice in the bag for a couple of days and it did not work. Luckily it was a work-issued phone and they replaced it without question.
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    It's late. I read DRY ICE and thought what could that do.

I have washed too many phones and ruined them all.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I've had a phone go through the wash, a phone go in the toilet, and a phone that drowned in my purse, and rice saved all of them. But you have to get the battery out right away and not try to use it, if you fiddle with it to see if it works first I think it shorts out.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 19,187Registered User Senior Member
    It seems to be the luck of the draw. S was able to revive one phone he put through the wash. I killed one when I dropped it in the swimming pool (took a while fishing it out). He was able to use my dead phone & a co-worker's dead phone to make one working phone (they were the same model--Rzer by Motorola). His friend was astounded & I was pretty surprised as well.

We have been pretty luck about not washing other phones. :) Hubby says when they get electronics at work wet, about 50% of the time they can revive them with a blowdryer & 50% of the time, they are totally dead & can't be revived. My brother puts them aside when they die for whatever reason. Some of them eventually revive after some length of time while others are dead for good.
  • lindz126lindz126 Posts: 1,910Registered User Senior Member
    did the same thing, and was so pleased it still worked...but few days later it stopped working...engineers at work told me it rusts out the inside...hope that doesn't happen to you sax, but just in case might want to copy your sim card now
  • mousegraymousegray Posts: 1,642Registered User Senior Member
    H spilled water onto his iTouch. Tried to dry it out but it was dead. He went and bought another one, only to find, 6 months later that the dead iTouch came back to life.
  • jinglejingle Posts: 1,198Registered User Senior Member
    if you put it in a jar with a bunch of those silica packets that come with cameras and computer equipment, they will draw out the moisture.
  • saxsax Posts: 4,351Registered User Senior Member
    Sadly, no sim card in this phone. I will have to write down as many new contacts as I can while I can. I keep waiting for it to die.

All the water droplets are gone now from the front display and I have no idea where internal moisture went. Maybe Ill throw it in some rice after all.

Can you buy those silicon packets?

Anyway, great news for all that these phones sometimes can live through major water abuse.