Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cost of freon for air conditioner

MattmoosemomMattmoosemom Posts: 468Registered User Member
edited August 2010 in Parent Cafe
Our air conditioner developed a leak. The repair guy fixed the leak and recharged the unit with 8 pounds of freon. The labor cost $125, but the freon was $200. Anybody else need to buy freon lately and what did yours cost?
Post edited by Mattmoosemom on

Replies to: Cost of freon for air conditioner

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 9,163Registered User Senior Member
    We had a similar problem recently and I think the cost was similar to yours.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 17,193Registered User Senior Member
    Mattmoosemom, googling "cost of freon per pound" or something like that yields many informative hits - apparently, you are not the only one wondering about the price of it.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    Read up on the history of freon. It has been phased out for environmentally friendlier coolants.
    Nope. Freon is a brand name for coolants. Certain types of it are indeed banned and are no longer in use, but what gets put in a residential AC system is still called "freon".
    Post should have said "Brand name that became a common name (like xerox)..." but I cannot edit my posts on mCC
  • MattmoosemomMattmoosemom Posts: 468Registered User Member
    Bunsen, I did google at first, and found prices to be quite varied. I knew the CC parents would be helpful. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I may call around to determine local costs.

I do have to say that I called the company this afternoon and the repairman came today, which I appreciate with our current heat wave here in NJ. Also, the woman who took my call suggested we change our filter first before sending out the repairman. If that was the problem, I would have saved the cost of labor. I thought that was nice of them.