Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Minor on diploma

clocksz78clocksz78 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
edited November 2010 in Parents Forum
How does a minor look on a diploma? Is it even mentioned there? Is there a separate diploma for minors, or is it written on the actual bachelor's one?
Post edited by clocksz78 on

Replies to: Minor on diploma

• bovertinebovertine Posts: 3,303Registered User Senior Member
    Probably not on any diploma, just on the transcript.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,277Registered User Senior Member
    No one is ever going to see your diploma.

Mine arrived from the university with a big rip in it. I never had it replaced. It never mattered.

What matters is your transcript. That's what graduate schools or entry level employers are going to want to see.
  • SeashoreSeashore Posts: 592Registered User Member
    Some overseas firms want to see the actual diploma. My brother had to get them (undergrad and grad) many years after graduating. But I don't think most diplomas have your major on them, let alone the minor.
  • musicmommusicmom Posts: 2,229Registered User Senior Member
    My diploma, admittedly from 32 years ago, does have my major on it.
  • glowormgloworm Posts: 2,211Registered User Senior Member
    ^ My son needed his diploma for his overseas job.

I think his transcripts list the major and minors.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    No major or minor info on D's college diploma.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,519Registered User Senior Member
    Our diplomas simply say Bachelor of Arts.

Mine also says Magna Cum Laude :D

(H's doesnt.... ;))
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 32,627Registered User Senior Member
    My bachelors and masters diplomas have my major on them. So do the diplomas my kids have...majors listed on all. No minors listed.

My employer required copies of our diplomas.
  • psych_psych_ Posts: 1,407Registered User Senior Member
    Some schools give diplomas without majors on them? I'm surprised. I actually got two diplomas from my college, one for each major. I don't think either had my minor on it, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 32,627Registered User Senior Member
    Some schools give diplomas with majors on them?

I honestly thought MOST of them listed the majors on them....not minors..but, yes to majors. We have six college diplomas in this house...all have the major listed.
  • psych_psych_ Posts: 1,407Registered User Senior Member
    I meant "without"... darn typo!
  • babyonthewaybabyontheway Posts: 517Registered User Junior Member
    Nobody will look at your diploma.

Even if an employer requires it (exceedingly rare), it will be part of a HR request to determine your eligibily for a job, not part of the interview and candidate selection process.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,295Super Moderator Senior Member
    My diploma says Bachelor of my major. Since this major has absolutely nothing to do with what I do today, it doesn't make any difference in the scheme of things. The coolest thing about my diploma is that my school changed names while I was attending. My class was the first to graduate from the school after the name change was incorporated. Students complained long & loud that we wanted diplomas with the "old" name ... so we actually have two-sided diplomas with the old name on one side & the new name on the other!!
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,519Registered User Senior Member
    I'd be in trouble if someone wanted a copy of my diploma. It's professionally framed (gift from mom) so it would be very hard to photocopy. Maybe I could take a picture of it and print it out....
  • 2collegewego2collegewego Posts: 2,583Registered User Senior Member
    I gave my diploma to my mom because I figured she paid for it. :) I'm in my mid 40s and haven't needed it for anything yet.