Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

best high schools in queens, nyc?

blessamericablessamerica Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited December 2010 in Parents Forum
Hello, I would like to know which are the best public high schools in queens aside from townsend harris. Thanks.
Post edited by blessamerica on

Replies to: best high schools in queens, nyc?

• sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,930Super Moderator Senior Member
    Best is a relative term and Queens is a big borough.

What exactly are you looking for? There are very few "zoned" high schools in the NYCDOE. I would not limit my search to Queens as you can get into manhattan faster than you can get into other parts of queens.

Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, Hunter, Townsend Harris, NYC Lab School, LaGuardia, Bard Early College and more. There are a number of good schools, so I would not just limit myself to queens.

Start here

Online High School Directory Search - Online High School Directory - New York City Department of Education

then read the statistics on the school's website for their latest report card.
  • amtcamtc Posts: 2,679Registered User Senior Member
    While I agree with sybbie, it is not answering your question. Bayside High School was ranked number 1 for college admission.
  • BigAppleDaddyBigAppleDaddy Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    Aside from Townsend Harris and Bayside, some of the stronger high schools in Queens include the Baccalaureate School for Global Education (Astoria), which offers the full IB diploma to all students; Bard High School Early College Queens (Long Island City), where kids can get an associates degree after four years; Frank Sinatra School of the Arts (Astoria), which is the Queens answer to LaGuardia in Manhattan; Queens High School for the Sciences at York College (Jamaica), a small specialized high school (you have to test in); and Academy of American Studies (Long Island City), where the focus is obviously on history.
    There are also some smaller screened programs at the general high schools in Queens that might be attractive to higher-achieving students.

Big, big, caveat: If you’re asking because you’re applying next year (I believe this year’s applications are past) remember that “fit” is crucial—perhaps even more so than it would be for a college student. Each NYC high school has its own idiosyncratic culture and I’ve seen smart kids get into top high schools and be absolutely miserable because it just wasn’t the place for them. Find out as much as you can about whatever school you think is right.

And yes, sybbie719 is totally correct when saying that its also important to factor in the commute from where you live.
  • blessamericablessamerica Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    thanks for your help
  • SodiumFreeSodiumFree Posts: 538Registered User Member
    Benjamin Cardozo in Bayside Queens is another good high school.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,930Super Moderator Senior Member
    You also want to read the stats section of the school report card which gives the school an overall grade A-F, graduation rates, regents pass rates, demographics (racial and economic).

If you currently have a middle school student, who has not turned in their high school choice form, submit it ASAP (I think that the deadline was on the 17th)

With the exception of speciallized high schools, Families will get to choose 12 schools in order of preference schools and put the school/program on their application. Schools will see if student is an ELL/Former ELL/SPED.

Schools will most likely consider the following when they pick students through STEMS (formerly HSAPs)

attendance records including lateness (no one wants to select a student who is going to be a potential attendance problem)

standardized test scores

disciplinary records (no one wants to pick up a student who will be a potential discipline problem)

age of student (to indicate if student has been a holdover in the past, will be at risk of being over-aged or if they need to look of the history in ATS,

the distance that one lives from the school. Keep in mind that you must live 1 hour 35 minutes actual travel time (not walking to the bus/train andfrom the bus/train to school) in order to be eligible for a transportation hardship transfer.

They most likely want a to match. This means they want to pick a student 1 or 2 who has chosen them as a first second choice.

Some programs with in a school are screened which means student may have to interview in addition to achieving the academic threshold that the school is asking for.