My son is on his second year at an Ivy. He told me and my husband last week that he has decided to quit college. TOTAL shock to us! Up until this point everything has been fine. He tells us that he has been thinking about this for the last TWO months. This is the information that we have gotten from him:
~ College is boring! Lost interest this last quarter and got an "F" and "D".
~ Not learning anything, can learn material w/o college
~ Not having male/female problems (I believe this is true)
School has always been boring for my son. He learns quickly and wants to move on. Has always aced every class. Received a perfect SAT score. Graduated high school with 14 AP classes and scored a "5" in all the AP tests. Got accepted at his 1st choice college and received a very generous financial aid package.
His plan is to return to college (2 hours away from home by plane), get a job, get an apartment then tell the college he is quitting. He has been investigating jobs and apartments and may have both lined up when he returns to the college.
Our concerns ...
~ Not well thought out....decided this in two months
~ If he quits/leave of absence from college his chances are good he will not go back and finish.
~ If he does go back, the college may not give him another financial aid package that is so generous. If that happens, there is no way we can help him with the $45,000+ college cost.
~ He is going with less than $900 dollars. He is gambling that all of his plans are going to fall into place as far as a job ($10 to 12.00 an hour), an affordable apartment and all of the other necessities hell need to live on his own.
I am so concerned w/ his future if he doesnt get a degree. In addition, I am also very concerned that his decision will be a dominoes effect with his younger 16 year old brother. My 16 year old adores his older brother and copies EVERYTHING he does. There is no doubt in my mind he will follow his older brothers path.
We have talked, talked and talked with him. We have tried to reason with him to
at least finish this school year while at the same time, think this through completely. He leaves this Monday and we are no further than we were last week. PLEASE help me and give me ideas to convince him to stay to at least June.