Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is a person screwed if they don't attend HYP for undergrad? (please read)

howdypalhowdypal Posts: 261- Junior Member
edited February 2011 in Parents Forum
I really need a parent's perspective (please be honest...dont feel the need to sugar coat things please :) )
I chose to go to Johns Hopkins undergrad where I am really shooting to do the 5-year BA/MA with SAIS--the tippity top school for international studies (Tim Geithner went there)--or Sciences Po. I love history, politics, economics, french...that kind of stuff.
After completing that, I want to attend Yale or Harvard Law School---preferably Yale. (Yes I know it's hard....I'm a URM (black female) and I have taken the LSAT just for fun and already scored a 161. If LSATs are still used in the future, I will get it up to 170 something by app time).

Anyway, I have dreams of obtaining a high position in government (National Security Council, Environment Sustainability, FEMA director or even President). Am I screwed be/c Im choosing Johns Hopkins and not somewhere like Princeton for undergrad?
Or is the whole Ivy craze exaggerated? Should I try to transfer to a transfer friendly Ivy?
I don't want a mediocre job...I want a really powerful and fulfilling one..
Post edited by howdypal on

Replies to: Is a person screwed if they don't attend HYP for undergrad? (please read)

• younghossyounghoss Posts: 2,576Registered User Senior Member
    more people have made powerful jobs that DIDN'T go to Harvard than those that did.
    There is more than one avenue to powerful jobs.
  • bchan1bchan1 Posts: 793Registered User Member
    You are attending a good school - if you also have a good FA package (if you need FA) and won't incur too much debt then you have a great deal. Stop worrying about whether or not there is something more acceptable to others and do well where you are - presumably you chose this school for reasons particular to you. Enjoy your time there.
  • limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,737Registered User Senior Member
    There's a saying, and of course, I can't recall the exact wording, but it's something like this: Your first job reflects where you went to college. After that, it's strictly up to you.
  • parent56parent56 Posts: 7,653Registered User Senior Member
    one question comes to mind..how will you pay for it?? will you have horrendous undergrad debt, followed by law school debt?? or will you recieve great financial aid for undergrad? nothing is worth being 250K debt imo. if the debt is huge, then imo reduce your undergrad debt by going somewhere affordable,
  • howdypalhowdypal Posts: 261- Junior Member
    I received a full-ride to Johns Hopkins.
    Ahhhh! This is just so hard be.c I had a teacher come up to me and tell me that I was "too smart" to not choose an ivy league :( It hurt
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 35,598Registered User Senior Member
    Johns Hopkins is an excellent school. You'll be fine.
  • TKsmomTKsmom Posts: 465Registered User Member
    Also, it is often the grad school that says more than where one went for undergrad. Obama went to Harvard Law. I don't think he did his undergrad there. Once you have a graduate degree, no one cares where you went to undergrad.

There are lots of successful people who went to other excellent schools such as yours. And, you are closer to Washington DC in case you want to do internships and things. Get the best education you can and be the best person you can and it will all turn out fine.

(and as the mother of a future engineer, Hopkins programs is rated higher than most of the ivies--especially HYP, so it also depends on the major).

Good luck!
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,096Registered User Senior Member
    Full ride at Hopkins in International Studies? It doesn't get much better than that! You'll be fine. I think in IR what matters is what sort of internships and experience you can put together.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,877Registered User Senior Member
    I would be more worried about the fact that you took the LSAT "just for fun"......
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 25,442Registered User Senior Member
    Oh come ON, howdypal -- what do you really expect people to say? "Yes, absolutely, if you don't go to HYP you will be screwed, there is no one at Yale or Harvard Law schools who has ever attended any other undergrad other than HYP, and there's certainly never been anyone in any powerful position in government other than HYP graduates?

Have you thought about the last several Secretaries of State (just to pick a high-level position) and figured out where they attended? Hillary Clinton and Madeline Albright attended Wellesley. Condolleezza Rice attended the U of Denver. Colin Powell attended the City College of NY. Do you see a pattern here?

You already know the answer. JHU is an excellent school. It won't prohibit you from achieving anything you might want. It's the person, not the school.
    MomofWild-- It was a practice test :) I just wanted to get a feel of it, you know?

Thanks for the responses! I am feeling a bit better.

I think I need to stop reading threads on college confidential so much...all this HYP-hype is getting to me.
  • ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Posts: 8,573Registered User Senior Member
    By 'choosing' does that mean you were accepted to HYP but decided to go to Hopkins instead?
    ^No, it means that I applied ED Hopkins which stopped any possibility of getting into HYP or the ivies as a freshman. Maybe I should have used a different word
  • Got2BeGreenGot2BeGreen Posts: 497Registered User Member
    Really? Some powerful women and their alma maters:

Condoleezza Rice: University of Denver
    Hillary Clinton: Wellesley College
    Nancy Pelosi: Trinity Washington University
    Indra Nooyi: Madras Christian College
    Sheila Bair: University of Kansas
    Oprah Winfrey: Tennessee State University
    Janet Napolitano: Santa Clara University
    Drew Gilpin Faust: Bryn Mawr

Can do, Howdy! Can do!