Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

African American parents....

Replies to: African American parents....

• NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Registered User Posts: 2,021 Senior Member
    @sybbie719.. we will have to pray for the best when it comes to my ex..and know that things will work out. She is far too talented for it not to!

@T26E64.. as far as AP's.. Once her schedule was complete in April, I ran out and picked up some study aids for her AP class. From what I have gleaned from the AP threads, being autodidact is necessary for one do well once May rolls around(no matter who is teaching the class). DD has an uncanny knack for studying hard and doing well... as I said in my original post, I'm not sure if she is mine! LOL I joke that I worry about the "switched baby" brigade coming to snatch her away from me and present me with a teen slacker... as far as school selection, I am sure she will have some great places to choose from. She will definitely be applying to UCONN which gives some pretty nice scholarships to those who have exceled and are well rounded.
    And no, she isn't @ Cross.. but I did consider moving her in January... I went to speak to the principal/Asst. principal... they both agreed to having her at their school but the AP(who has known my family for 30 years or so) said that he would hate to see her move and it "disrupt the apple cart". Cross is double the size of her school and double the trouble. Though they have an excellent honors program in which the students are segregated in their own wing and see very little of the insanity that permeates that air. And they push the kids towards AP classes and nuture their intellectual side..even with all of that, I felt leaving her where she is would be the best. Some of you may disagree with me on this one, but I feel that being a big fish in a small pond is best in this instance. The class of 2014 has already bonded with each other/teachers... class rank, gpa's are already penciled in. She wouldn't stand out @ Cross. I feel thats important in the long run.

@Longhaul.. Xiggi always give great advice... but I took a different approach to CC and have jumped in, feet, ankles and shins first... and have immersed myself. and acutally become obsessed with it to be honest... I have learned a ton so I am truly thankful that I found this place/all of you! I have been able to tell her gc about programs that she had never even heard of.. all thanks to CC...
  • CandleGirlCandleGirl Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Register on "Colleges That Change Lives" Site Colleges That Change Lives | Changing Lives, One Student at a Time They also have College Fair Events Around the Country... Don't rule out the Smaill Private Colleges

and Check out BluePrint Summer Programs Blueprint Signature Summer Programs
  • CandleGirlCandleGirl Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I started taking my Child to Visit Colleges when he became a High School Freshman...The Summer after his Freshman Yr he attended Summer Programs in Life Science at U of Iowa, Chemistry Program at Wabash College and the Summer Youth Music Program at U of Illinois....Each yr we visit Colleges...We have a Good Understanding of the process and now we are so relaxed when we go to visit schools, while the parents of rising Seniors and rising Seniors are Scribbling notes like crazy at Open House Events...My child is about to begin his Jr. Year in HS...He is compiling a list of Colleges and focussing on his upcoming yr with Honors, AP, Music and Athletics on his plate... I decided early to spread this college search process out so I wouldn't be half crazy and stressed out his Senior Year... Start Early and Make sure Your Child is in the higher level Math and Science Track
    Hello good people,

Thank you for all of your responses! Her 5 weeks @ Choate flew by... she fell in love with it and didnt want to come home... she's been home a week and it seems like she is depressed! She is missing all of her friends and I hope she remains life long friends with these young women... Being in that idyllic setting for 5 weeks was wonderful... an inner city girl in that type of setting, having that type of experience, was priceless... it will show her that there is so much more to life than what lies outside our door!

I hope she gets to her summer reading list soon... i didn't dare push the issue, but we did run to the library to grab the books just so she'll have them @ her disposal... school starts on the 31st of this month and as we know... TIME FLIES..
    and there is also an AP assignment that she has due on the 1st day of school as well....

We met a Marine Scientist(she is a good friend of my friends mom) and we finally got a tour of her lab on Thursday and it looks like dd14 will have an opportunity to work as a lab assistant! Her researh focuses on DNA...

We are also looking at her resume to see which activities can be deleted for the upcoming year...and which activities that she should pursue... I am sure that many of you will disagree with me but I feel that this whole process is a huge competition for those coveted university spots and I want her to be in the running...

I often wonder if URM's are held to a higher standard than other students... I cringe whenever I read here on CC that URMs only get in b/c they are URM's... I want her to stand on her own and not on the color of her skin...am I wrong to feel this way?
  • baystateresidentbaystateresident Registered User Posts: 601 Member
    NewHavenCTmom- can you apply to Choate as a day student for 10th grade? Quite a few students commute from New Haven, and they double the size of the class for 10th grade, as a lot of the feeder schools go through 9th grade. Choate has quite a few very impressive African American students who go on to Ivy League (or that level) schools- and one student this year did get the Gates Millenium scholarship- complete full ride- for four years of college.
    She wants to apply boarding status... she actually had me call the Monday after she got back home... she will have to apply for the 2012 school year... so we will see.. I am just glad that she had the experience and she sees the world in a much different light now..she is still enamored with her friends... I hope that wanes soon..

She went to the lab today and did lots of "grunt" work and was also able to see some cool DNA extraction/quantifying in action! She enjoyed it and has been invited back on Thursday... very cool for a girl like her! She is blessed to have such life changing experiences this summer.

I just hope that she is able to maintain her straight A streak for her sophomore year... and also get some killer scores on her SATs... it may help her to write her own ticket...
    Hello ALL.

How is everyone? I was clicking through my "subscirbed threads" and saw this one... actually forgot all about it! I would love to know how everyone is doing!

DD14 is now a junior. She did extremely well in her 1st AP class in sophomore year. Scored a 5 on the exam and is currently taking 3 AP classes plus a dual enrollment class at a local university. She is planning on taking another DE class, but this time @ Yale which the school district will pay for. We only have to pay for the book.

She was hired by Shake Shack which just opened here in New Haven but had to quit b/c they were expecting the high school students to work full time. Work til close(2am) and didn't really care about the kids at all. They only cared about the bottom line... $$$. She is now working at a little restaurant that is only steps away from SS. She is enjoying it and its a better enviroment all around. She was sad to leave SS but I had to put my foot down. She now sees that this other place cares about its employees and she is happy with the change. The tutoring and other EC's continue and she is applying to a few summer programs which deadlines are either in the fall or mid January.

I hope everyone was safe during the 2 storms that we had these past 2 weeks. Hope to hear from you guys soon. :)

NHCTM
  • lacrossemomlacrossemom Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    That is a great option of a DE at Yale.

What is your DD doing for summer? I think alot of the competitive summer programs start posting applications this month. Both of my children and 5 nephews/nieces did LEAD.

My DD is a senior. She has applied to 10 schools so far with one left to complete.
    She is applying to programs now. Finished her 1st application last month. She has lots of choose from so we are trying to decide what the final list will be. She can't apply to all 15/20 of them. LOLOL That would be overkill.
    I called LEAD back in late 2010/early 2011 and didn't find the person who answered the phone to be too friendly... I had specific questions and was told in a rather curt manner, "the answers are on the website" and hastily got off of the phone, almost hung up in my ear. Prior to that I had emailed them twice and no one ever got back to me so thats why I called the office. So I scratched them off of the list. LOL I felt if they treated adults in that manner, how would they treat a teenager who was far away from home... probably silly on my part but she has done fine otherwise...
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,172 Senior Member
    We will be visiting Vassar, Temple, UCONN, Georgetown, just to name a few... I doubt that any HBCU's will be on that list as I can't afford to send her and they have no $ to give. So my thought is.. why bother applying?

If she has the stats to have a realistic shot at the Ivy League schools, then some HBCUs (and other schools) offer large (up to full ride) merit scholarships. See the http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1348012-automatic-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarships.html (e.g. Howard, Prairie View A&M, Florida A&M), but also note that there could also be non-automatic competitive merit scholarships.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,130 Senior Member
    Yes, I agree about HBCUs. Don't discard them out of hand. A friend's daughter came out of one of the highest scoring public high schools on the west coast a few years ago and consequently attended Prairie View A&M, graduated from medical school and is now quite established in her professional career.

Also, I like the rigor of the core requirements at North Carolina Central University, a school which has been known to throw full-ride scholarships and free laptops to high caliber students. Hampton has partner-programs with larger universities in the STEM fields.
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    NewHaven,

I'm not AA and my oldest is 1/2 PR, but I can relate to a number of things posted on this thread. We're middle income (over 70 and under 80K) and live in a very diverse neighborhood where the only young people we know going to college attend a local community college and the local state university. The local high school's average SAT scores (for 3 sections) sits between 1275 and 1300.

We chose to homeschool and were able to piece together a strong education for my son, thanks to many kind individuals and some national groups that support gifted kids. He definitely was different in terms of his background than were all the other kids in the STEM activities in which he particiapted.

I would second the idea of Questbridge and I would hope that your daughter has applied already.

Also, just a quick comment on what Ivies want. I was worried because all the Ivies do recommend four years of foreign language. My son had two semesters of Arabic at a local CC and one year of homeschooled ASL. He was super lopsided with lots of college math and physics but weak on foreign language and social science.

In the end, he was accepted to all his schools including two Ivies, so I would say, if a candidate is very strong, being a bit lopsided will be ok.

I'm glad you revived this thread. :-)
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,713 Super Moderator
    I doubt that any HBCU's will be on that list as I can't afford to send her and they have no $ to give. So my thought is.. why bother applying?

However, there are some schools where your D can get a full ride (or pretty close to it). Have you checked out

Hampton:
    Trustee
    The Trustee scholarship is a unique award offered by Hampton University. It provides a four -year scholarship to include: Tuition, Room, Board, and a $500 book stipend. The recipient must have a minimum SAT score of 1400 (combined Math and Critical Reading score only) or minimum ACT composite score of 32.

Hampton University - Admissions

Spelman College
    What types of scholarships are available and what criteria do I need to have to receive a scholarship?
    The following merit-based scholarships are available for incoming first-year students. There is no certain grade point average or test score needed to qualify for merit-based scholarships; however, selection is competitive and generally the top students in the applicant pool are selected as recipients. Merit-based scholarships are given to approximately 10% of the incoming first-year student class.
    • Presidential: Covers full tuition, fees, room and board cost for four years
    • Dewitt Dean: Covers full tuition costs for four years
    • Academic: Covers half of tuition costs for four years
    • Student of Distinction: Provides $5,000 per year for four years
    • Bonner Scholars: Based on community service, this is a need-based scholarship and the award is calculated based on financial need.
    Spelman College Scholarships for Future Students

Howard (my niece is currently a senior there with scholly. Will be attending Columbia Law(deferring) after completing her 2 years with TFA).

PRESIDENTIAL
    Presendital
    Criteria:
    SAT=1500 - 1600 ACT = 34 - 36 GPA ≥ 3.75

Award:
    Tuition, Fees, Room, Board, $950 Book Voucher, & Laptop
    Annual Renewal GPA: 3.50LAUREATE (See More Information >>)

LaureateCriteria:
    National Achievement Finalist Scholars who designate Howard as their First Choice
    Award:
    Tuition, Fees, Room, Board, & $950 Book Voucher
    Annual Renewal GPA: 3.30
    FOUNDERS
    SAT=1400 - 1490 or ACT = 32 – 33 GPA ≥ 3.50Award:
    Tuition, Fees, Room, Board & $500 Book Voucher
    Annual Renewal GPA: 3.30

CAPSTONECriteria:
    SAT=1300 - 1390 or ACT = 29 - 31
    GPA ≥ 3.25Award:
    Tuition, Fees, Room
    Annual Renewal GPA: 3.0

LEGACY
    Criteria:
    SAT= 1170 - 1290 or
    ACT = 26 - 28
    GPA ≥ 3.0 Or Ranked #1 or #2 in class
    Award: Tuition & Fees
    Annual Renewal GPA: 3.00

Grants, Scholarships & Fellowships - Howard University
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,172 Senior Member
    sbjdorlo wrote:
    Also, just a quick comment on what Ivies want. I was worried because all the Ivies do recommend four years of foreign language. My son had two semesters of Arabic at a local CC and one year of homeschooled ASL. He was super lopsided with lots of college math and physics but weak on foreign language and social science.

Note that two college semesters of a foreign language may be seen as the equivalent of up to four high school years of a foreign language. For example, the UC Berkeley French department recommends placement into the third semester French language course after four years of high school French: Placement Guidelines French Department
This discussion has been closed.