Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What Does Making The Dean's List Mean/Do for you?

sarra2121sarra2121 Posts: 14Registered User New Member
edited August 2011 in Parents Forum
hey guys ,my first semester of college and sadly i did not make the deans list
but i was wondering what does making this list mean anyway
Post edited by sarra2121 on

Replies to: What Does Making The Dean's List Mean/Do for you?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 18,498Super Moderator Senior Member
    It means your grades were better than most other students. It's a sign of how well you're doing in school. It can help in getting a job.
  • wis75wis75 Posts: 8,678Registered User Senior Member
    Deans list- nice accolade for getting in the top gpa category for your school in a semester, otherwise means nothing. Your diploma, with any honors designations is what you can brag about when the time comes.
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy Posts: 1,866Registered User Senior Member
    It makes your parents feel terrific, and gives them something to hang on the refrigerator!
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,370Registered User Senior Member
    Many hiring firms use grades as the first line of screening potential applicants right out of college, so it does, indeed, mean something. It also means something if you want to go to grad school, medical school, law school, etc. You don't have to be on the Dean's list if you aren't looking at a post-grad program but you need to keep your grades as high as possible to keep more opportunities available to you immediately upon graduation.
  • starbrightstarbright Posts: 4,660Registered User Senior Member
    FWIW, in my experience in recruiting to graduate programs (PhD level), we do not care about this kind of thing. Never in 20 years has someone said in a meeting, "oh but look they made Dean's list!"

Along with the rest of one's application (test scores, letters etc), we will look at one's GPA, but relative to one's actual major (much harder to get a high GPA in engineering for example), or school (some are known to have lots of grade inflation). We also look at actual courses taken and grades for specific relevant courses. But in too many schools its easy to boost your GPA with fluff courses, and like grades themselves which have inflated, so too have these recognitions. The bar is both different across schools (and we have no idea what % of students are giving this recognition), and increasingly, it is too inclusive. So the information value isn't much.

As an aside, I noticed a relative on FB posted an 'article' about herself on her wall, one which recognized her accomplishment for making the Dean's list at her college. I clicked on the article, and it was a glowing PR piece about the college she attends, and the college congratulating the students who had made the Dean's list (and it specifically listed her name in the article). But it turns out you made this list if you had a 3.0 or higher. And it was apparent that each student got a personalized article with their name in it. What a very clever way this college found to spread free advertising about themselves on facebook.
    But so many schools offer these kinds of recognitions now, they vary from school to school and for the most part they are too broad, so we don't value them.

I don't really understand this....at most schools being on the Dean's List means you have a certain GPA (at son's it's a 3.5), why would that be meaningless? Are you finding that schools put people on the Dean's List for no apparent reason?
  • artloversplusartloversplus Posts: 4,965Registered User Senior Member
    It will give you little edge on your FIRST Job application, after that you are on your own. I had 3 in my three years UG, it did not help me get into a "Big 8" Accounting firm(now it is Big 4), the cut off cum was 3.5 and I had 3.45...
    It will give you little edge on your FIRST Job application, after that you are on your own. I had 3 in my three years UG, it did not help me get into a "Big 8" Accounting firm(now it is Big 4), the cut off cum was 3.5 and I had 3.45...

Exactly. At my college the Big 8 required a 3.5 to even get an interview. I had offers from 4 of the 6 Big 8 firms in my college town. My husband (with less than a 3.5) never got an interview.

To get into medical school, you pretty much need a minimum of a 3.5 GPA. Maybe the 'Dean's List' is just semantics but it still connotates an underlying GPA.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,101Registered User Senior Member
    hey guys ,my first semester of college and sadly i did not make the deans list
    but i was wondering what does making this list mean anyway

What college's first semester just ended? :confused:

Dean's List is to a semester what Latin Honors is to your entire UG GPA. Neither mean anything, really, except in the context of the school attended but .... it sounds nice. ;)

To be of value, I'd think you'd at least have to know what percentage of the class is honored. And to be of any hiring value to me, lot's more than that.
    I don't really understand this....at most schools being on the Dean's List means you have a certain GPA (at son's it's a 3.5), why would that be meaningless? Are you finding that schools put people on the Dean's List for no apparent reason?

It might be 3.5 at one school, something else at another. Like my real life example: it is 3.0!

Moreover, if the average graduating GPA is 3.45, and Dean's list is 3.5, it isn't exactly special. Read gradeinflation.com and you'll see how high it's gotten since we were in college.

We have the GPA calculated by our administrators and we can read: 3.5 if its 3.5. That matters to us. Whether you earned "Dean's list" does not.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 18,498Super Moderator Senior Member
    At DD1's school Dean's list is 3.7+. It means something. As a hiring manager at my firm I look at how often one was dean's list and what the cum GPA was (for people just out of college). It does mean something. Once you've been in the workforce, not at all.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,353Registered User Senior Member
    My oldest required a 3.75 to make Deans List so a 3.5 doesn't cut it and 3.0 was what was required to stay in your major. With regard to the OP, it's a nice honor but as far as what does it mean...it mostly means something to you and your family. It might keep you in a honors program, or give you more faculty exposure or any number of things but those things will ultimately be driven by you.
    Moreover, if the average graduating GPA is 3.45, and Dean's list is 3.5, it isn't exactly special. Read gradeinflation.com and you'll see how high it's gotten since we were in college.

Ah...that makes sense. At son's public university the average GPA is about a 2.7 or less, so having a 3.5 means something but I could see where if everyone is getting straight A's it wouldn't mean anything. Thanks.
    ^ Exactly. What would be very helpful is if schools provided actual rankings-- so you can see THIS overall GPA is in what percentile at this school (or also major at this school). Now that would be great and so easy but most don't want to advertise the fact that the average GPA is so high. Or if there were even a commonly agreed upon high standard, such as 3.75 noted above, or 3.5 where the average GPAs are held in check. What I like most is what U of Toronto provides on their transcripts- you see the grade one received for a course, AND you see the class average for that course (its a great way for them to maintain their very non-grade inflated environment, like the environment your son works in, and yet provide the right signals to the outside world).

Where I think the Dean's list is useful is for provide a nice goal for students to try to attain. There is value in having a specific challenging goal to work towards.
    What I like most is what U of Toronto provides on their transcripts- you see the grade one received for a course, AND you see the class average for that course (its a great way for them to maintain their very non-grade inflated environment

ITA. I've often wish they would do that not only in college but HS. The grading systems of individual teachers need to be transparent to all. Not only is grade-inflation an issue but then you have those teachers who go in the opposite direction and give almost no one a high mark.