Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is this a major error??

Dukes21Dukes21 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Parents Forum
My D's school sends in everything by paper. I gave her addressed/stamped envelopes a few weeks ago to give to her teachers with the blank recommendation forms. She has signed the waiver of confidentiality on the CA.

She just mentioned to me that she noticed I didn't put in a return address so she filled in our home address as the return address. The school's instruction packet said the school/teacher will fill it in. We doubt the guidance office will notice and may have sent them to the schools by now.

Are these just opened in the mail room so it doesn't matter? Or do we now need to contact 10 schools and explain?

We are questioning every step we make at this point.
Post edited by Dukes21 on

Replies to: Is this a major error??

• Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,518Registered User Senior Member
    Your high school may have a stamp or a sticker that they put on for the return address... I can't imagine they hand address them. I'd call the Guidance office and ask them what they do in that case - I'm sure you're not the first people with this problem.

Good luck!
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    Our school had teacher LORs done by snail mail as well. To be honest I can't remember what we did about return address. I think we filled them in but put the school address. If there was a problem the hs would have contacted you. The college has someone assigned to open the mail, if not a mail room in admissions.

The vast majority of colleges scan snail mail into a computer so that it is matched up with your students common app. When a reader opens a file all data that has ever come in, electronic or snail, gets pulled so the reader can see it all in one place. The admissions reps never see the envelopes.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    I've worked as a volunteer helping GCs put together these packages. If someone puts his or her address in the return spot on an envelope, I cover the home address with an address label with the school's address on it. It's really no big deal.
  • Dukes21Dukes21 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks to all. My D sent an email to the guidance dept. and see if they covered our address. And if not, I won't worry about it. Geez this is all crazy.
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Posts: 13,297Super Moderator Senior Member
    Geez this is all crazy.
    Yes to that. Don't feel badly. I was so over-eager, I didn't want the teachers' LOR's folded into thirds, so bought S-2 flat 8x11.5" envelopes; then had him affix the wrong postage - short by a few cents because I didn't know the post office uses size, not weight, to determine postage.

Greatly impressive. Fortunately nobody's anything had left the GC's office yet. I immediately phoned it into the GC who added some penny-postage, and son ran to add to the petty cash supply of the GC.
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
    "Geez this is all crazy."

You got that right. Both of my D's HS's used snail mail for application materials. Neither school could adequately explain its procedures. I literally looked into the eyes of the GC's and asked "Does this system actually work?"