Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Need to find a smaller college in texas!!!

dallaslovingmomdallaslovingmom Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited November 2011 in Parents Forum
Hey, ok my d has her heart set on attending either UT Austin or baylor but unfortunately she has only a 3.2 UW gpa at a good public high school. I know this isn't enough to get her into either, most of her classes are honors or AP and she is the student body secretary and plays on the school field hockey team as well as countless voluntering hours outside of school. She wants to go onto law school but doesn't want to go too far out of texas for college, i was thinking about Trinity? please can anyone suggest great smaller colleges worth looking at!!!
Post edited by dallaslovingmom on

Replies to: Need to find a smaller college in texas!!!

• menloparkmommenloparkmom Posts: 8,135Registered User Senior Member
    I was going to suggest Trinity.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,307Registered User Senior Member
    I know a lot of people who have been very pleased with Texas Tech Honors. Tech isn't a small university, but it can have a small feel with the Honors progam and once you get into your major. Quality of student life is good at Tech. I would still take a shot at Baylor.
  • sunnydayfunsunnydayfun Posts: 442Registered User Member
    SMU, TCU, Austin College in Sherman, St.Edward's University in Austin
  • placido240placido240 Posts: 636- Member
    Schriener, maybe?
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 2,915Registered User Senior Member
    Southwestern?
  • momofgifted3momofgifted3 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    I second sunnydayfun, and maybe look at UTD?
  • collegeshoppingcollegeshopping Posts: 1,922Registered User Senior Member
    She may get capped at UTD and if she does and keeps her GPA up for the program she will be an auto transfer to UT Austin next Fall. Texas State in San Marcos is starting to make a name for itself and agree with the Honors Program at TT. I too think she has a shot at Baylor.

Edited to ask....is a Greek system important to her?
  • dallaslovingmomdallaslovingmom Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the great suggestions, no a greek system isn't a big deal for her, we're leaning towards a smaller school as her guidance counselor thinks she'll do better there as do i. Trinity sounds ideal, do you think she stands a good chance there?
  • glowormgloworm Posts: 2,211Registered User Senior Member
    My D just graduated from Trinity in May. It was a safety for her, but she loved it. Trinity will only look at academic classes, and they unweight all. A=4, B=3, etc. What will tht do for her GPA?

The campus is very pretty. They are in the midst of construction of a new science center.

If I can help you, feel free to PM me.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,020Registered User Senior Member
    Seconding the suggestion of Southwestern U in Georgetown. Small, close to the fun in Austin but not "right there", probably a safety compared to Trinity.
  • jc40jc40 Posts: 1,559Registered User Senior Member
    FWIW, Trinity is more selective than Baylor. In addition to those already mentioned, she might consider St. Mary's or St. Edwards.
  • NeedAVacationNeedAVacation Posts: 292Registered User Junior Member
    The University of Dallas: University of Dallas - Home. 90% of their pre-law graduates are accepted into professional school.
  • dallaslovingmomdallaslovingmom Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions :) Someone also suggested Univ of Alabama, it looks amazing! Reckoning that there and Univ of Dallas would be great safeties for her. Also going to visit St Edwards and the honors program at TT, you've all been fantastic!
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,665Registered User Senior Member
    Third cheer for the Southwestern Pirates. ;)

We visited Southwestern and liked it a lot. It is hard to tell how nice it is from the web site. If you are looking for a small, friendly LAC, you should visit.
  • MereMomMereMom Posts: 667Registered User Member
    Just thought I should point out that U of Alabama is NOT a small school.