Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How do you withdraw app after acceptance?

BfloGalBfloGal Posts: 310Registered User Member
edited February 2012 in Parents Forum
Hi everyone, Sorry to be asking the mother of all naive questions, but S has decided not to attend the one and only 4-yr college he applied to (and was accepted at) and instead attend the local comm college. How should he formally withdraw his app to the 4-yr school? He has not sent any money for housing or had any correspondence with the school since getting his acceptance letter.
Thanks.
Post edited by BfloGal on

Replies to: How do you withdraw app after acceptance?

• familyof3boysfamilyof3boys Posts: 1,214Registered User Senior Member
    Does he know who his admissions counsellor is? I would send an email to him/her.
  • mncollegemommncollegemom Posts: 636. Member
    I agree--An email to the admissions office is usually sufficient. Simply have him thank them for their consideration and acceptance but he has decided to peruse other options.
  • teachandmomteachandmom Posts: 1,242Registered User Senior Member
    He doesn't have to reply at all until May 1, unless he was accepted Early Decision. I would encourage him not to turn down the acceptance yet. He has plenty of time, and if he changes his mind in the next 3 months, he may not be able to get the acceptance back. What's the rush? Kids change their minds, so I wouldn't do anything just yet.
  • cortana431cortana431 Posts: 5,015- Senior Member
    For cornell, I called the admissions office and they gave my message to the director of admissions, who contacted me via email and i withdrew my acceptance offer by that
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 43,031Registered User Senior Member
    There should be an option on-line or in the paper work that he got where he can decline the admission offer. Of course, a non-response by the deadline to respond also effectively declines the admission offer.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 69,231Registered User Senior Member
    If he doesn't have to reply until May 1st, he might want to wait a bit longer til he's sure. Kids can change their minds a few times during these weeks.
  • BfloGalBfloGal Posts: 310Registered User Member
    Thanks so much for your helpful replies. I will have him wait till end of April to withdraw and in the meantime check for instructions on how that should be done. Great advice, thank you!
  • HuntHunt Posts: 24,358Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter did it by e-mail. She wrote "Withdrawl" in the subject line. Derrr.....
  • AvonHSDadAvonHSDad Posts: 1,444Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with the others who say wait until May 1st. Many things can happen to make a kid change their mind. More than once. :D