Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can you beat this?! Mother throws a party after another kid gets a B

KelownaKelowna Posts: 2,667Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parents Forum
I just found out something ridiculous and scary today.
This is happening in our lives, this is not a newspaper piece.
A mother of son's classmate threw a party last year after my son, a very strong student, got a B at the end of a quarter. Son found out about it today - he is attending a competition and is rooming with a boy whose parent's attended that party! She was celebrating as apparently that B has opened up a door for her daughter to be a valedictorian ;-)
Can it get any sicker than that?
Post edited by Kelowna on

Replies to: Can you beat this?! Mother throws a party after another kid gets a B

• oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,790Registered User Senior Member
    If that's her excuse for throwing a party then I really feel sorry for her social life. Let her have it.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 25,622Registered User Senior Member
    Even more disgusting are people who would attend a party held for that reason.
    Maybe they didn't know until they arrived at the party.
    D2 is graduating as Sal, maybe we should tried to distract the Val...could have, should have.
  • familyof3boysfamilyof3boys Posts: 1,209Registered User Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about that. Yes, parents will stoop very low. A parent of my son's teammate would promise gifts if he beat my son in a race. Pathetic.
  • bovertinebovertine Posts: 3,303Registered User Senior Member
    Open bar?
    Seriously, I wouldn't necessarily believe gossip from some kid. Plus, who cares? It really has nothing to do with your son and his accomplishments. If it's really scary you can always switch to a school with sane parents.
  • KelownaKelowna Posts: 2,667Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think she told the people the reason for a party - it probably (let's hope) transpired during the event.
  • learninginproglearninginprog Posts: 840Registered User Member
    Kel,
    Look at it this way. That party could not have been fun because the "Honorary Boy" was not present. :cool:

I am sure your son will take the high road on this. Use this as a teaching moment to him that there are some insane people out there. {{{ }}}s to you guys..
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,415Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, it's creepy when parents get involved in kids' competitions, but I'd question anything I heard passed on through someone else's kid--especially a year after the fact. There could've been other reasons for the party--maybe they like to get together with friends and drink? I'd wonder if the kid was joking or repeating something his parents said they heard at the party, which also may have been a joke or taken out of context. (And they were probably drunk anyway, so not reliable witnesses. ;))

True or not, there's not much you can do with this info. now--besides saying "WTH?" to yourself. You already know to avoid these types. I'd forget about it.
    No reason not to believe the guy, he is older - not a classmate, how would he otherwise know about the grades?, his and the girl's parents are from the same ethnic group - looks credible that they met at that party. And he told my son that she (mom) was "so happy she threw a party".
    I am not going to loose sleep over this, seems though like something you would read about in a paper...
    As far as avoiding the people - I don't even know them.
  • DowneasterDadDowneasterDad Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    it's all perspective and how you tell the story . . .

From your angle, the parent was celebrating your son's getting a "B"(i.e. dropping in rank because of the lower grade). From her perspective, the mother was celebrating her child becoming Valedictorian. Whether it happened because your S unfortunately earned a "B," and dropped a spot in class rank is not her fault or anyone's for that matter. Fact is, her child is now Val and if that is indeed the case, then she has the right to celebrate that if she wants to.

If she sent out invites to the party stating, "so & so got a "B" and it's time to party," well then, that's a different story OR If perhaps she was mingling at the actual party and was overheard stating that she was glad or happy your son got a "B," then that is indeed classless. Sounds like there's alot of heresay going on . . .
  • parent1986parent1986 Posts: 1,616- Senior Member
    I love giving parties. I'd give one for a B. Why not?
    DowneasterDAd - she was heard saying she threw a party because of my son's B!
    How much lower than that can you get?
  • mythmommythmom Posts: 8,305Registered User Senior Member
    Don't worry. I know of many better outcomes for Sal's than Val's. A B builds character. You should throw a party for your son's B. Welcome to the world of the imperfect human race son. And we love that you're not perfect, and we love you.

I feel sorry for that strange woman's D. Imagine the burden of having to be perfect!!! I am sure your very accomplished son is a wonderful person.

At one graduation I attended the Val made such an awful speech that people are still laughing at her. The entire text related the tale of her longing to be the Val for all her life and how wonderful it was that she achieved it. There was not one word about her classmates or going forward in life.

Narcissism is not attractive.

I wouldn't worry about it anymore. Hugs to your son.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,632Registered User Senior Member
    Did she throw a party for her D being Val? And, then it came out at the party that the D only became Val because of this lone B?

I can't imagine accepting a party invite and the stated reason for the party was "My D is Val because John Doe got a B on his report card." It seems like the "cause" for her D's Val status came out at the party...and the mom (rudely) mentioned that she was so happy that she threw the party.