Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Early Admission, Pros & Cons

bayarearesidentbayarearesident Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Parents Forum
Hi: My daughter wants to apply to Westmont (CA). Early app is due next week, adn supposedly, it is non-binding?

What are the pros and cons if she applies next week to that school? (other than knowing if she got in early).

I'm new to this and she is my 1st to go to college so I am trying to help her out with info as this year (senior) ...she is busy!

Thanks!
Post edited by bayarearesident on

Replies to: Early Admission, Pros & Cons

• MizzBeeMizzBee Posts: 4,276Registered User Senior Member
    Well, one big pro is knowing early, which can greatly reduce the stress. I cannot emphasize enough how good it felt to know that DS was actually going to college with a solid acceptance. Also, since we were on the hunt for significant merit aid, he was in consideration for the full range of financial aid, including competitive scholarships that required additional essays and applications.

The only con I can see is that if he grades or test scores could benefit from another testing date or grading period it is better to wait.

For your school specifically, it appears that the Monroe Scholarship (full-tuition) picks its applicants only from Early Action, so if you are looking for merit aid and believe your D to be a highly qualified candidate, then waiting could deprive you of participation in the competition for the award.

http://www.westmont.edu/admissions/#monroe-scholarship.html
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,898Registered User Senior Member
    There is no downside to early action - getting into a college early is the best safety I know of. Good luck!
  • M's MomM's Mom Posts: 4,562Registered User Senior Member
    The only con to early action is if you D is retaking her tests and expects significantly higher scores that might make her a better candidate for admission or for scholarships. If she's got her test scores, then applying EA and getting in reduces the stress and saves her from having to spend time applying to other schools she's less keen on. D got into her early action school and dropped 10 schools off the list since it was also one of her top picks. She had a great senior year, unlike many friends who were waiting on tenterhooks for April 1 to roll around.
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,671Registered User Senior Member
    EA is wonderful! It forced my son to get his act together on essays, LORs and just about everything else. Later apps required extra essays, but his basic app was crafted early. Then, of course, being accepted early with merit scholarships was divine!
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon Posts: 1,672Registered User Senior Member
    EA is not binding, it MAY put your student in a better position to be accepted, some schools ask that you apply early to be considered for merit scholarships, and you receive an answer earlier than you would with regular admission. I can't think of any cons, but that might be just us.

ED is a different matter, because that decision is binding.
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,163Registered User Senior Member
    ED is a different matter, because that decision is binding.

With the addition of a rather nebulous element in the Common Application, the binding part of the ED agreements has become quite toothless.

As it stands, a student who used the common application can simply reject the offer of ED admission and move on. Some have use that language to support the notion that a student could sit on a ED offer and start a financial aid negotiation/review and not be forced to cancel all other applications and perhaps stretch it to the RD deadline.

The only "negative" of the ED process is that it precludes multiples Early Applications and forces a student to pick his true first choice. Otherwise, the benefits are multiples and usually pay the largest dividends in the entire application process.
  • OperaDadOperaDad Posts: 2,474Registered User Senior Member
    Westmont is non-binding Early Action. No downside as long as she does not want to apply ED or Restrictive EA somewhere else.