Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Have you made MAJOR sacrifices to pay for college?

Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone Posts: 2,533CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parents Forum
A reporter contact of mine would like to interview parents who have made EXTREME sacrifices to pay for college.

Did you move into a smaller house (or with grandma)? Take on a second (or third) job? Rob a bank? :(

If you feel you made a big sacrifice to send your child to a dream college (or to ANY college) and would like to speak about it publicly, please post here or send me a Private Message today.
Post edited by Sally_Rubenstone on

Replies to: Have you made MAJOR sacrifices to pay for college?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,872Registered User Senior Member
    A second job is an EXTREME sacrifice?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone Posts: 2,533CC Admissions Expert Senior Member

I would say that it is, although, of course, this partly depends on WHAT it is!
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 3,065Registered User Senior Member
    Heck, yeah! It sure would be for me. Working 40 hours a week and raising kids and keeping up a household pretty much fills up my days. If I had to take a second job, I'd consider that an extreme sacrifice.
    Hmm... interesting. My parents always had second or third jobs (yes, on top of 40 hour full time jobs) the whole time I was growing up so it doesn't seem extreme to me. Always interesting to get different perspectives!
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 24,022Registered User Senior Member
    My husband is an older man, overweight, who took a second job stocking supermarket shelves overnight to pay for college. Stocking shelves is not an easy thing for a young man, but quite difficult for an older man who already works a full-time job. Three nights out of the week he doesn't go to bed.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Posts: 4,430Registered User Senior Member
    ^I hate to say it, zoosermom, but there is no way I would put myself in a position where my parents had to do this in order for me to go to college.
  • AgentninetynineAgentninetynine Posts: 1,241Registered User Senior Member
    Zoosermom: I'd say that's a pretty big sacrifice. Your children are very lucky to have such a giving father.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 24,022Registered User Senior Member
    It's not my kids' decision. My husband is functionally illiterate and there is nothing in this world that would stop him from making sure his kids get educated.

I'll tell you what, though, he's a big guy and it's absolutely hilarious to see him dance around the house every time we make a tuition payment. There are only 8 payments left, and I think he is planning to dance in the street when the last one is made!
  • momof2kidsmomof2kids Posts: 320Registered User Member
    I am staying in a job I really dislike. At my age and in my industry, I could not make a change without introducing risk. I want my kids to graduate with little or no debt because I was saddled with debt when I graduated.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 18,181Super Moderator Senior Member
    Business is so slow for us that we're struggling just to meet regular expenses. We don't have many "extras" we can cut out. I just canceled subscriptions to NetFlix and our local newspaper. I may need to look for a second job, but that would definitely be a hardship, since I would still have to be responsible for our business bookkeeping and the management of our sons' medical treatment. I hope the economy improves soon!
    I'll tell you what, though, he's a big guy and it's absolutely hilarious to see him dance around the house every time we make a tuition payment. There are only 8 payments left, and I think he is planning to dance in the street when the last one is made!

This gave me a huge grin. If only more parents were like this! We'd see less heartbreaking "my parents refuse to pay" threads on the FA forum :(
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,809Registered User Senior Member
    This gave me a huge grin. If only more parents were like this! We'd see less heartbreaking "my parents refuse to pay" threads on the FA forum

The real heartbreak happens when the parents and students fail to discuss the financial parameters before the application list is made, or the parents say "don't worry about the cost, we'll figure it out", or the parents promise more than they can deliver, so that the student gets a bunch of acceptances in April and cannot attend any of them because the parents cannot or will not pay.
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    I always considered the day we paid the college bills the happiest days of the year. We were so blessed to be able to do so (and, we are grateful, the colleges were willing to pay well to rent our kids). Now we don't have any more. I'm retired (only working 8-9 hours a day - for free! or "dharma points").

There was never a time during my growing up that my father wasn't working two jobs. And, once she became a teacher, my mother worked too. I began working weekends 12 hours a day when I was 15-16 (2-3 hours a way from home, and did all homework on the bus.) I didn't think of any of this as "sacrifice" - it was just what we did.
  • sseamomsseamom Posts: 2,130Registered User Senior Member
    "I didn't think of any of this as "sacrifice" - it was just what we did. "

This is how my H grew up-his parents worked 2 and/or 3 service jobs just to keep food on the table, because that's what black families did in the 50's and 60's. When his older siblings went to college, there wasn't any "extreme" change-just more of the same. By the time H got to college, both his parents had died young of overwork and the inability to afford good medical care. He paid his own way, working two or three jobs AND going to school at the same time.

I think the reporter is really looking for a class of people not familiar with the typical sacrifices of certain others and for whom 2 or 3 jobs is extreme, not an everyday thing. Zoosermom, your H is a cool guy!
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Posts: 4,430Registered User Senior Member
    If only more parents were like this! We'd see less heartbreaking "my parents refuse to pay" threads on the FA forum
    Really? Personally I find it nauseating. Nothing against zooserdad.