Should parents plan for the possibility of more than 8 semesters' of college costs?
This can mean reserving some of the college money for any extra semesters, letting the student know ahead of time that the parents will only pay for up to 8 semesters in college, or otherwise planning ahead of time.
Should the planning be based on estimates of risk that the student will need extra semesters? For example:
* Student needs remedial courses. (increased risk)
* Student is in a major that requires greater than normal course loads. (increased risk)
* Student is very undecided for major. (increased risk)
* Student needs substantial part-time work to afford to attend. (increased risk)
* Student has lots of useful AP or college credit going in. (decreased risk)