College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
Hi, I have a bit of a situation that I need some help with. I'm hoping for a parent's perspective, but I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to be posting. If it's not, I'll request it to be moved. :)
About a month ago I approached my mom about applying ED to Columbia. I told her if I got in I'd have to go (I told her this several times). I showed her the pamphlets they mailed home (several times) and she was on board. My dad was a lot more enthusiastic and helped me complete the ED agreement the same day I showed the pamphlets to him. He loves the financial aid packages and is OK with paying for me to go to such a prestigious school.
However, recently I got a letter from Kenyon College in Ohio, announcing their merit scholarships (they say they're full and half tuition) and my mom wants me to apply there now, too.
I told her the potential conflict, if I get in then I'll have to pull out of my Kenyon app. She insists that I never talked to her about the ED agreement and insists that "there is a way out of it" -- which I'm skeptical about. I know Columbia let's you leave if FA isn't enough, but again, I'm really skeptical.
I'd love to go to either school, but Columbia is my #1 choice, hence why I applied ED. I get that she wants me to go where the most financial aid is, and I do, too, but I can't put Columbia on hold for the three or four months it might take for Kenyon to get back to me. I picked Columbia specifically after researching their financial aid, and discussing it extensively (or trying to) with my mom and my dad.
I'm not sure what to do here. She seems dead set on me going to Kenyon for their scholarships, or at least waiting on Columbia first. She's been dragging her feet with the applications and financial aid information, and eventually paid my father (they're divorced) to do it for her. I had to ask her three times to fax over the tax forms to Columbia. I'm not sure what to make of this.
My mom has been supportive but she's also been inattentive through the whole thing. Whenever I tried to talk to her about FA she always gives me the "we'll pay for it somehow," which isn't good enough for me. I don't want my parents or me to get saddled with debt after I graduate.
I'm not sure how to go here, on the chance that I do get into Columbia. Am I worrying too much? I want to avoid anything that may risk my Columbia acceptance, should I get in, and would like to get it ahead of time. How should I approach my mom about it, and what should I do?
I appreciate you taking the time to read this, and I hope I can work this out with your help. :)