Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it legal for schools to give out student addresses to "leadership" camps?

limabeans01limabeans01 Posts: 619Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in Parents Forum
My roommate just told me about her little sister being invited to a prestigious leadership camp that costs a lot of money. Her parents are really thinking about sending her because it is such an "honor". I remember getting a lot of those invitations in the mail and my parents throwing them in the trash ( because we couldn't afford them even if they were worthwhile). I do remember thinking I had been given a big honor by being chosen.

So, can/should for profit businesses be able to get student addresses simply by asking teachers to nominate students? Seems that information should be confidential. Do they really give scholarships to financially needy students?
Post edited by limabeans01 on

Replies to: Is it legal for schools to give out student addresses to "leadership" camps?

• HImomHImom Posts: 17,652Registered User Senior Member
    How do you KNOW where the address & name of the little sis were obtained. It may well NOT have been given by the school, as I doubt most schools would risk providing such information to private vendors.

We also tossed most of these "invitations," and our kids refused to consider or attend them.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,898Registered User Senior Member
    They may have gotten the addresses from the PSAT, SAT or ACT or any number of other institutions. You may also have to tell your high school you want to opt out of being notified. I know we had to fill out a form to say we didn't want calls from military recruiters.
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,084Registered User Senior Member
    I thought orgs like "Who's Who in Amer High Schools" and their ilk got names and addresses from school districts for a fee. It wouldn't surprise me if these for-profit "leadership" camps do the same.
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, some schools sell their student lists. In our registration paperwork there was an opt out option for that. Most of those invites, however, came from club team participation so if you play in a youth sport, music program, etc. that has some kind of national affiliation, most likely that is where they got your name for those "prestigious" camps :D.
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,649Registered User Senior Member
    Our high school NEVER provides personal information, and our students have gotten the same pile of junk mail advertising leadership programs and claiming teacher nominations. The truth is that the addresses were purchased by the leadership programs from the College Board after the PSAT.
    I would encourage your roommate's parents to google the programs first.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Posts: 387Registered User Member
    My son started getting those as a Freshman in HS and when I complained they confirmed that the do not ever give out that information, however, many of the national honor societies, academic, and service clubs do. I'm not sure what the kids fill out regarding the application to those organizations (although I probably did sign it) but it may have disclaimer about releasing their info.
  • CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    Name and address is known as "directory information," and is often made available by schools - much as it is made available by credit bureaus. They ask for a list of people meeting certain qualifications, either through the schools or College Board, or many other organizations. You can often opt out, but you can't do it selectively (except for military recruitment, which is considered a special case). By HS, it is easy to end up on a variety of mailing lists, and these organizations all share with each other.