Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"In Their Own Words: ‘Study Drugs’ "

ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
edited February 2013 in Parents Forum
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/06/10/education/stimulants-student-voices.html?ref=us

This was on the same page as a story linked on Medscape as a word of warning to psychiatrists and other physicians;

Drowned in a Stream of Prescriptions

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/concerns-about-adhd-practices-and-amphetamine-addiction.html?_r=0#commentsContainer

“We have a significant travesty being done in this country with how the diagnosis is being made and the meds are being administered,” said Dr. Parker, a psychiatrist in Virginia Beach. “I think it’s an abnegation of trust. The public needs to say this is totally unacceptable and walk out.”
Post edited by Shrinkrap on

Replies to: "In Their Own Words: ‘Study Drugs’ "

• glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,655 Senior Member
    Scary article, but I could not help but think there were many issues with this poor soul.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    Yes. Crazy story.
  • aquamarineseaaquamarinesea Registered User Posts: 832 Member
    I hate hearing stories that end in a teen or young adult suicide. Heartbreaking and frightening.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    Very painful to read. The problem is that it is easy enough for anyone who is smart enough to research a condition to feign it and get the medications to treat it. It's become a real problem that some of the effective meds out there are also the ones being most abused. An example are painkillers which are crucial for those in pain, but because of the abuse, those who need them can find it difficult to get the quantities and types they need. So it will be with Adderall and other popular drugs that have a "hot" secondary market.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,523 Senior Member
    I read this in yesterday's Times. Very scary and very sad.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 5,813 Senior Member
    Hhhmmmm, cannot even imagine what will happen with medical marijuana.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,365 Super Moderator
    The problem is that it is easy enough for anyone who is smart enough to research a condition to feign it and get the medications to treat it.
    Yep. I wasn't at all surprised by this: "So many fellow students had prescriptions or stashes to share, friends of Richard recalled in interviews, that guessing where he got his was futile."

Duke did a survey a couple of years ago about adderall use on campus. The percentage of students using it without a prescription rose steadily for four years from 1-2% of freshmen to nearly 20% (!) of seniors, with an average of ~10%. A shocking 30-40% reported using it during midterms and finals. From what I saw, use was particularly heavy among pre-meds. (How ironic.) It's definitely getting to be a very noticeable problem.
  • nysmilenysmile Registered User Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    It's been a problem for a while. I compare it to athletes taking steroids to gain an edge. It's not only students asking for the drugs. It's parents who feel it will give their kids an extra push/edge. When their kids no longer get straight A's as they progress through HS (be it for normal reasons such as teenage hormonal/emotional development, more difficult subject matter, social reasons, etc.), many parents are quick to rush them to the doctor complaining about an increase in being distracted and less focused. It's pathetic actually, but parents have a lot to do with this problem.
  • CatriaCatria Registered User Posts: 11,349 Senior Member
    That's awful...
  • alexissssalexissss Registered User Posts: 2,177 Senior Member
    I never even knew it was that bad. I wonder how these kids would react of they had school work and home problems to work out.

Study drugs are a cop out yet so prevalent.
  • glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,655 Senior Member
    There ought to be some overview of this danger during student orientation. Perhaps on a broader subject of the pitfalls of seeking short-cuts, as well.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 14,591 Senior Member
    D1 told me that a lot of young college women "suddenly realize" they are ADD or ADHD because they know that these drugs often depress the appetite and help control weight. These women are far less interested in getting an academic edge than they are in maintaining what might be an otherwise unrealistic weight.
  • ecouter11ecouter11 Registered User Posts: 1,499 Senior Member
    This is scary, but what makes it worse is how casually people toss it around and how very tempting it is. I was complaining to one of my friends about the work I had and she just said- "tell your doctor you have ADD or ADHD and get some adderall. My sister takes it and it makes her focus."

I'd be lying if I said I never thought about it. Our society puts so much pressure on doing well, well, WELL and being successful with a capital S and being Rich that people will do anything. For a stressed, overworked teen, one can easily see why it'd be tempting.

Anyway, I'm staying away because I don't want to artificially mess with my brain chemistry- it's too scary and also, I think it's cheating in a way. I try to find natural stimulants, i.e. working out or getting more sleep or thinking happy thoughts to stay motivated but obviously, it's nowhere as good as an artificial pill. In any event, there's overuse of drugs everywhere. Prozac, alcohol, adderall, everything. For widespread drug use to decline, society and mentalities need to change as well, which will take time.
  • EquipotentialEquipotential Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    There's not much they can do. There's currently no way to diagnose attention disorders with laboratory tests, scans etc.

@harvestmoon, adderall is on a completely different level than pot. Adderall is similar to cocaine while pot is like a mild muscle relaxant. not saying there isn't any drawbacks though.
  • MrsDrzMrsDrz Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Female, 20, Atlanta in the article was spot on. Lazy, instant gratification generation that never learned to work for anything or budget time or money is now taking the easy way out justifying it for better grades. What are they learning? That it's OK to overlook morality, integrity, and self-control for a grade. A GRADE. Now come on.
    ^^^ecouter11, I totally respect what you wrote above. Keep doing the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.